Help, Platies fins are shredding!

FishPlanet

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 6 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78 F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 4 harlequin rasboras, 6 platies, 2 female bettas, 1 male guppy, & 2 GloFish.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1x a week
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? aquarium salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, for two weeks.
What do you use to test the water? test strips
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1-2 ppm
pH: 7.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1x every other day
How much do you feed your fish? as much as they can eat in a few minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? none

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? one for six months and the other for a month or so.
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? one was a week ago and the other one today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? It all started with a hole in their fins and now they have shredded fins. IDK why. :(
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no

Two of my platies have shredded fins. :(

Attachments

• IMG_6811.JPG
    IMG_6811.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 25

Idkitsathrowaway

May be due to the betts. Every female I've had were super aggressive and couldn't be trusted with snail s! Also guppies don't really like to be alone.
May be due to the betts. Every female I've had were super aggressive and couldn't be trusted with snail s! Also guppies don't really like to be alone.

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

the female guppies died. We have 1 that will be able to go with the male soon. Also, I have never had any trouble with the female bettas. It all started with a hole in the fin this morning. :(

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

Maybe a bacterial infection. I had a guppies fins darken and brake off in the center. It was sad cause he's a moscow. I don't mean fin rot. His tail ends were fine and it's broke like glass it was in shards I had to pick up

Also do you have any fake plants, or sharp rocks. It looks like a nip but really dee. And you said its tarted as a hole. That screens sharp plans or decor

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

I do have fake plants and décor but they don't really like to go in them.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

Okay it sounds like that is the number one most likely cause. Take a lighter and flash the ends. It won't burn them black but will melt the ends just enuff to ball up making it rounded. Make sure your holding it long enuff by testing on a clipping or the very end

Any rocks or wood take some sand paper too. And I had to do this once for a bett who didn't like the plans yet after a week(before I burned the plant) I came home to him having 5 tails and not one. He healed but it took a wile

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

I have had the plants and décor in there for a few months already.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

It could be the fish got warmed up too it and finely got closer too it, but braced for the photo it's most likely since it could only other be a bully fish. And with that its really deep and would not of started with a hole in the fin that then split. And the fish would of had to bite same exact spot every time he went to nip

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

It could be the fish got warmed up too it and finely got closer too it, but braced for the photo it's most likely since it could only other be a bully fish. And with that its really deep and would not of started with a hole in the fin that then split. And the fish would of had to bite same exact spot every time he went to nip

Hmmm. All the fish have been together for at least a month now. Never had this kind of trouble before. :(

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom