Help Planting 10 Gallon Betta Tank

sadcanine

I have finally decided to get back into fish keeping after several years, and want to go with a more natural approach to how I setup tanks. I have a spare 10 gallon aquarium with a glass lid that I'm looking to turn into a fully planted betta + shrimp tank. I have done some research on certain methods people take with planting tanks but I wasn't sure what would be best for me.
I'm looking to have this tank be as low-tech and low maintenance as possible. I want to go with the Walstad method, but have heard others had issues with the dirt loosing nutrients after a year or so, and the dirt breaking the cap of sand or gravel and making the water gross. I'm fine with dosing the tank with ferts and root tabs but I don't want to have to completely uphaul and rescape the entire thing every couple years.
Someone recommended this light to me, and I wanted to know if there is a cheaper/better medium light out there for planted aquariums.NICREW LED Planted Light 18-24 in.
I'm very new to the whole planting thing and want as many tips and information as I can gather so I don't do anything wrong. I'm experienced with keeping fish but unfortunately not so good at keeping plants alive :emoji_laughing:Thanks for any advice in advance.

Ghelfaire

There are a bunch if beginner plants that don't have to be fully planted and can even float. Anubias, anacharis, all aquarium moss.
Easy to grow plants that require no ferts are all of the previous mentioned ones plus, java fern, water wisteria floating plants like duckweed or frogbit.

There are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

sadcanine

There are a bunch if beginner plants that don't have to be fully planted and can even float. Anubias, anacharis, all aquarium moss.
Easy to grow plants that require no ferts are all of the previous mentioned ones plus, java fern, water wisteria floating plants like duckweed or frogbit.

There are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.
Thanks for the suggestions! Would the light I posted in my original post be sufficient for those plants?
And if you have any suggestions for a good substrate that would be appreciated as well! Thank you again

Ghelfaire

Those plants don't require any fancy lights, substrate or fertilizers. You can do whatever you want with the tank and they'll grow.
In fact anubias is practically unkillable and bettas love resting on their broad leaves.

FishDin

Buce is another plant that does not get planted into the substrate. Like anubias, a slow grower. They do well for me and my not-green thumb

Blacksheep1

If you want to go for a walstad tank , you can put the soil in mesh bags ( eBay / Amazon cheaply enough ) which you then cap with your substrate of choice . It makes it easier to replenish if it does stop releasing nutrients and will make it impossible to be dug up or released into your water column. The roots of the plants can penetrate the mesh easily and get what they need. I guess a walstad tank is the ‘ideal’ but low tech is another term for a similar thing .

Or , you can powder nutrients / root tabs to inert sand and be fine too with easy plants. .

low level plants like others have said is an option. The light has been recommended enough times now that it’s a known as a decent budget light, so much so I bought one myself. I have it on a sand only tank with a low bioload and it’s fine for easy stems, Anubias has thrown two new leaves this month and sessiliflora has reached the surface. However my fish hate it , I’ve blocked off half of the leds and it still freaks them. There’s no adjustment period as you’d expect for something this price. It does grow plants though , and these particular fish are skittish.

Are you thinking of adding a filter and heater? Also which shrimp are you thinking of ? :)
Edit to add : I said this is a budget light. That’s not technically true. I don’t know what your tank looks like though to even recommend anything. You said glass lid, does that imply rimless ? There’s very , very cheap, Clip on lights that will do the job for low light plants but it’s all subjective to what you want plant wise and aesthetically.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RDcompton03
Replies
Views
wrs2
  • Question
Replies
Views
frogfan
Replies