Help! Pet Store Gave Me A Surprise Guppy Fry!

GraceSt3rling

Reaction score
I went to go get ghost shrimp at a local pet store, and while the woman was taking them out, she also got a guppy fry. She gave it to me as a “freebie” and now I don’t know what to do. It’s is so small sometimes I have a hard time finding it! I set up a small one gallon tank with a heater and a small filter until it gets bigger but I’m not see what else I should do. I’d like it to survive.

JenniferB

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am currently raising 2 guppy fry in a 10 gallon. The tank they are in was an already fully cycled tank and the timing worked out really well so that I had upgraded my main tank and had this small tank full and already cycled. I just crush up flake food real small to feed them and keep an eye on their water parameters. Not really a whole lot of extra work.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, is the 1 gallon tank cycled? Fry are especially sensitive to ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Any ammonia and nitrite at all is lethal, and nitrates above 20 or so are as well.

If it isn't, I'd suggest getting a breeder's net and setting that up in a cycled tank. That'll be way better than an uncycled tank to itself.

As for feeding, you can make do with crushed up fish flakes with guppy fry. If you wanted to do something a bit better, freshly hatched brine shrimp are a great option, but not really required.

JenniferB

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you have already cycled media in your main tank I highly suggest you take as much as it can spare and add it into the filter on your newly set up tank.
Or.....get the breeder net box and put it in your main tank as Lorekeeper recommended. Before I got my other fish out of the small tank and into the upgrade I kept the fry in a net breeder box. It was less than $10 at petsmart and the fry did great in there.

GraceSt3rling

Reaction score
I took cycled water from my 29 gallon tank and filled it 70% with that and then true rest was conditioned tap water. The water parameters have seemed to be good an the fry swims around a lot. It has lots of spots to hide and things like that. The only reason I’m weary of a breeder box is because I have only three species in the larger tank. I have a female betta, a few kuhli loaches and black mystery snail and I wouldn’t want the betta to possibly eat the fry.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Water contains virtually no bacteria that'd cycle a tank. All of that lives in your filter media, with just a little bit on your substrate.

Breeder boxes are made for your situation - to separate fry from your larger fish. I very seriously doubt a betta would find it's way into a breeder box.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I took cycled water from my 29 gallon tank and filled it 70% with that and then true rest was conditioned tap water. The water parameters have seemed to be good an the fry swims around a lot. It has lots of spots to hide and things like that. The only reason I’m weary of a breeder box is because I have only three species in the larger tank. I have a female betta, a few kuhli loaches and black mystery snail and I wouldn’t want the betta to possibly eat the fry.
Using water from a cycled tank won't help with anything, it only adds nitrates. The BB doesn't live in the water, but in the filter media. Take a little of that and put it in the 1 gallon.
Edit: you may also want to consider doing 25% daily water changes as fry like pristine water

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your betta probably won’t find the fry. My sorority girls aren’t fast enough to catch the tiny guppies that are with them right now.

But if you want to be safe, a breeder net is the way to go. I’ve raised several batches of fry with them.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you able to get one one of those net breeding/isolation boxes and put it in the larger tank? That's what I'd do in your situation, some bettas are very good at hunting 'live' food which the fry might classify as lol. That way it's in the same established water and you can also keep an eye on it and feed it easily. I often put some snails in the net box too to clean up the uneaten food

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom