Help: Pest Snails Out Of Control

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by ikolbyi, Aug 23, 2019.

1. ikolbyi

ikolbyiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    55 Gallon freshwater planted tank. I bought a plant that must have had pest snails on it, as a result I now have hundreds of pest snail that took over the tank, especially at night they mostly come out.

I bought 10 Assassin Snails to take care of this problem and the YoYo loaches ate the Assassin Snails, but don't eat the significantly smaller pest snails!

Recommendations on how to address the issue since I can't use Assassin snails and the YoYo are picky about their escargot?

Fish in tank:
    (1) Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis)
    (6) Columbian Blue/Red Fin Tetra (Hyphessobrycon columbianus)
    (7) Black-Spotted Filament Barb (Puntius filamentosus)
    (4) African Cichlids
    Blue Mbuna [Labidochromis chisumulae (female)]
    Electric Yellow [Labidochromis caeruleus (female)]
    Giraffe [Nimbochromis venustus (female)]
    Golden Mbuna
    (1) Emperor/Flash Pleco (Panaqolus albivermis, L-204)
    (1) Bulldog/Rubbernose Plecostomus (Chaetostoma formosae, L187b)
    (3) Rainbow Panda Garra (Garra flavatra)
    (4) YoYo /Pakistani/Lohachata Loach (Botia lohachata)
    (1) Butterfly Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis)
    (3) Dwarf Petricola Catfish (Synodontis lucipinnis)

(I am aware about my stocking issues)

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,526
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'd suggest a herd of Clown loaches but your stocking prohibits that. I got 3 to start with for the same problem. I had so many bladder snails in my 55 gal that I got up one night and almost passed out- they covered 1 corner of the 55 from substrate to the top of the water, over an inch deep in spots and 4 inches wide all the way to the top! The 3 clowns had eradicated all of them in 3 months and I never saw a single one again. The Clowns were rewarded by getting rehomed into my 150g and they got 3 more friends.

3. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,530
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I'm surprised the YoYos are so picky. Any of the Tiger Botias would quickly take care of the snails, but they also might take care of some of the tankmates as well. I'm speaking from experience. Lol.
    I think your best course of action is cut back on feeding, remove as many snails manually as possible during weekly maintenence and hope the YoYos snap out of it and get to work.

4. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Clowns eventually get 2x the size as YoYo, I would only be able to keep them as juveniles.

I am in the process of looking to rehome the barbs, that will free up significant tank space.

5. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My 4 YoYos are fully grown adults, not sure why they are picky.

6. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,269
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well you may want to starve them. Seems like your over feeding anyway so a few days with no food than just feed what the fish will eat in 2 min. That might make the YoYos put the snails on the menu :). If not talk to your pet store and see if you can buy some clown loaches and return them when they finish off the snails. Good luck

7. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sadly.... Petco put out of business the only two independent dedicated fish stores in the area. In addition to having no experience staff, Petco carries 1/3rd the fish selection and hardly any plants.

If I remove the Barbs freeing up stocking level, will 2 juvenile clowns do the job and partner up with the 4 existing adult YoYo?

Regarding overfeeding.... I was on vacation for 5 days and the tank wasn't feed. The fish snacked on the plants and the snails partied to Barry White music all night long.

8. Dedife

DedifeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    The Barry White music was likely the issue. Too romantic. Might I suggest Brittany Spears for your next vacation?

9. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So I drove 20 miles the last indepent fish store and gave them my adult barbs, they were too large for my 55 gallon tank. I bought 2 juvenile Clown loaches, 3 juvenile Columbian Tetras, and 1 Pea Puffer.

The Giraffe Cichlid tried eating the loaches and puffer. It payed no attentional to the new tetras, probably because when it got close to them the 6 adults "said something".

The Columbian Tetas (Red/Blue fin) they definitly hold their own in a proper sized school.

10. OP
    OP
    ikolbyi

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Its been 24 hours and the 9 Tetras schooled, the 4 YoYo loaches are paying absolutely no attention to the 2 Clown Loaches, the 2 Clowns look all alone which is causing me concern I may have to add a 3rd but stocking levels once again is an issue. The Pee Puffer survived and never leaves the plants.

I will check my tank glass tonight for smails.