Help! Parrot Cichlid With Black Spots

BPmama

Reaction score
Did the store use strips? Did they even tell you what they were testing for?
My neighbor was told by petco (who used strips that didn't even test for ammonia!!) that his water was fine. Except for his pH which doesn't even matter for the average aquarium!! Most fish can adapt to different pH levels as long as it is stable. So he goes and buys pH altering products (smart way to sell more products petco!) which will only make things unstable and worse. And he isn't at all concerned about ammonia because they didn't even test for it (not that he knew any of that, he just trusted what they told him) So I tested his ammonia and it was literally off the charts. NICE!!

I would not trust the fish store to test your water unless they are using something other than strips and you know what they are testing for and what the results are.
Oh no!!!!! They used strips!

Finishing a water change now. Then I will have the water tested at our local fish shop who I know uses a different method. It's a farther drive for me but my fish need to be taken care of.

Thank you for your help.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no!!!!! They used strips!

Finishing a water change now. Then I will have the water tested at our local fish shop who I know uses a different method. It's a farther drive for me but my fish need to be taken care of.

Thank you for your help.
Shoot. Ya, not only are the strips relatively inaccurate, but some strips don't even test for ammonia which is one of the first things you want to test for! I know the ones Petco uses doesn't test for ammonia. :-(

The API test kit is priced pretty well on Amazon and it will probably last you until they expire (years from now) since you don't have a ton of tanks. The strips may be cheaper up front, but the liquid test lasts much longer.

Hopefully the water isn't too bad and the parrot is just simply stressed from the move. But anytime you do see something that could be the result of stress, then you want to test your water right away. But if you cant, an immediate water change is the next best plan of attack.

Good luck! I hope everything turns out ok! Parrots are pretty hardy in my experience. He should pull through.

BPmama

Reaction score
Shoot. Ya, not only are the strips relatively inaccurate, but some strips don't even test for ammonia which is one of the first things you want to test for! I know the ones Petco uses doesn't test for ammonia. :-(

The API test kit is priced pretty well on Amazon and it will probably last you until they expire (years from now) since you don't have a ton of tanks. The strips may be cheaper up front, but the liquid test lasts much longer.

Hopefully the water isn't too bad and the parrot is just simply stressed from the move. But anytime you do see something that could be the result of stress, then you want to test your water right away. But if you cant, an immediate water change is the next best plan of attack.

Good luck! I hope everything turns out ok! Parrots are pretty hardy in my experience. He should pull through.
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it and so does Hagrid

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom