Help! Parrot Cichlid With Black Spots

Discussion in 'Parrot Cichlid' started by BPmama, Apr 23, 2018.

1. BPmamaNew MemberMember

Hagrid my Parrot Cichlid now has black spots around his mouth and on one of his finns. It does seem to bother him but I'm worried. Could he be getting his colors or is he getting sick?

2. BPmamaNew MemberMember

Doesn't seem to bother him.

3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you take a pic?

Can you also give us more info? Tank size and tank mates?

Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

4. BPmamaNew MemberMember

Not the best picture but this is Hagrid. Temp is sitting between 78 & 80. Everything looks normal. I had a water test done this morning. He's in a 29 long with a Gourami and a lil bristle nose pleco. IMG_20180423_133742.jpg

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list exact water parameters? I'm assuming by what you said that you took some water to the store to be tested. I wouldn't trust them when they say "fine" or "good". Write down exact water parameters. Even better, get your own liquid test kit so you can test whenever you need to :)

How long have you had him?

How often do you do water changes, and how much do you change?

6. BPmamaNew MemberMember

That is exactly what I did. Still learning how to read them.

He was in my quarantine tank for two weeks before I put him in the 29 gallon with his friends Saturday morning.

What do you think is causing his spots? Stress? He's eating and happy just spotty.

7. BPmamaNew MemberMember

I do a water change once a month. At least 20%. I made sure to do one the day I brought him home and put him in the quarantine tank. I wanted it all settled for him

8. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Definitely increase your water changes. I would be doing at least 20% weekly, though larger and more frequents are better for the fish and their growth. I do 50% weekly on most of my tanks. Black spots could be stress, even though he's still eating. It could also be an issue with water quality.

Do you have another tank he'll be moving to? A 29 gal is a little too small for a full grown BP.

9. BPmamaNew MemberMember

Now I feel bad! Definitely changing to do changes more often.

Yes, Mr Hagrid will be getting a 55 gal in the next few weeks. I want it set up cycled and perfect conditions before I move him.

I was doing research and found black spot is common for Parrot Cichlid. Do you have any knowledge of it?

Thank you so much for all your help

10. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I haven't seen many parrots with black spots, so if it's normal, I wasn't aware.

I would definitely invest in your own liquid kit since you're going to cycle the 55 gal :)

11. BPmamaNew MemberMember

Ok. I'm going to do a water change and see how the levels look in the morning. And go get my own kit. Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it

12. FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Black spots will be quite normal while the parrots are growing and changing colours. There isn't much to be worried about.

13. BPmamaNew MemberMember

He's just a lil guy so I worry about everything with him. I researched for almost a year before getting him so I'm very attached

14. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I was under the impression that black spots on parrots were stress related. I have only seen it on the ones at the fish store in overstocked miserable tanks. And that included very large parrots. Not just young ones.

Did he have black spots before you moved him to the 29 on Saturday???

15. BPmamaNew MemberMember

When I got him his tank make looked like a calico (you know brown and white and orange like a cat) and Hagrid had none. He has grown very fast in almost 3 weeks. One Finn didn't work for two weeks. Now all his Finns are working great and he has spots. I admit I did get him at Petco

16. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

But did he have the markings when in QT? Did they show up before or after the move out of QT?

17. BPmamaNew MemberMember

They showed up Sunday night. One little spot on his mouth. I figured it was from him getting startled and running into the cave decoration I have in his tank like a bruise. Then this morning it has spread

18. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Then I vote stress from the move. Coincidental timing don't you think? Any chance he's being picked on?
    I'd be interested in knowing the exact levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the 29. What kind of testing method are you using? Strips? Liquid?

19. BPmamaNew MemberMember

I had the water tested at our local fish store this morning. All they said was the water looks great. As another commented I will be getting my own test kit soon.

As far as being picked on...not that I can tell. My recliner sits by his tank and I've been watching all day. My Dwarf Gourami is very active could he be stressing my parrot with all his movement?

20. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

Did the store use strips? Did they even tell you what they were testing for?
    My neighbor was told by petco (who used strips that didn't even test for ammonia!!) that his water was fine. Except for his pH which doesn't even matter for the average aquarium!! Most fish can adapt to different pH levels as long as it is stable. So he goes and buys pH altering products (smart way to sell more products petco!) which will only make things unstable and worse. And he isn't at all concerned about ammonia because they didn't even test for it (not that he knew any of that, he just trusted what they told him) So I tested his ammonia and it was literally off the charts. NICE!!

I would not trust the fish store to test your water unless they are using something other than strips and you know what they are testing for and what the results are. "your water looks great" is a bunch of bull!! They probably just want you to buy more fish.

If I were you I would do a big water change right now. Do you use prime as your dechlorinator?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice