Help! Overcrowded Goldfish Fry!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jim2195, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Jim2195

Jim2195Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hello guys, so I have eighteen common goldfish fry. All are under half an inch long, and are all living in a ten gallon tank. I know that is insanely overcrowded but it’s my only option right now. I have a fifty gallon tank but my dad says I’m not allowed to keep fish in there. He uses it as a water filtering tank for the pond, which is where I found the babies. I have two blue floating buckets in the pond with water lettuce growing in them. However the buckets have holes drilled in them that are big enough for the baby fish to swim through. I don’t want them to swim out and possibly get eaten. Any advice on what I should do? Should I let them grow a bit before putting them in the buckets? I don’t wanna risk losing any. All of the fry have grown significantly since I got them from the pond.

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    Keep a few, and throw the rest back.

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    In a 10G tank with 18 of them, I'm not sure if they'll grow out fast enough, and depending on the size and depth and how many adult fish there are in the pond, they might have a better chance at hiding out and growing a bit faster in there. As long as the koi and goldfish in the pond are well fed, I don't believe they'll be chasing the fry for food, I don't know your fish though.

4. OP
    OP
    Jim2195

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @FishGirl38
    The pond in my backyard was left behind by the previous owners of the house, along with a whole ton of fish. The pond is about a few thousand gallons and it is four feet at the deepest. (It slopes down to the middle) The previous owners left behind around 15 full grown koi, and 4 adult goldfish between eight inches to maybe a foot long. There are also mosquito fish and rosy red and fathead minnows, but those are about 1.5-2 inches long. There are seven goldfish fry reaching 1/2 inch long so I might move them into the buckets today. If they do escape the buckets I will be concerned because there is absolutely no plants or rocks or driftwood or anything in the pond. Being a fifteen year old kid, I don’t have much authority over that issue. The Filter of the pond is extremely powerful and my dad did find some small mosquito fish and minnows that got sucked inside.

In a four foot deep pond with 16 koi all over one and a half feet long, and four huge goldfish, do you think the babies will be safe? Should I try covering or blocking the holes in the buckets? ( the holes were drilled in to ensure water flow )

5. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    Alright...I was assuming there was some kind of cover and that it was a smaller, less stocked pond....Hmmm. I suppose the safest option would be to keep them separate from the adults if you're really trying to keep them, but I'm not sure 10G will be big enough for them to grow out. I had some convicts in a 10G to grow out similar to how you have these goldfish fry. It took them 2-3 months to reach an inch in size whereas the other fry in a 20G took half that time to get the same size. If you had a larger container you could try that...

The myth that 'fish grow to the size of their tank' is halfway true....in that they won't grow as large externally as quickly as they would if they had more space, but they don't ever actually 'stop' growing. Their internal organs will still expand as they need to...their external biology will just be stunted. So....a larger container altogether would help them grow out faster. it doesn't have to be a fish tank per say, if you had a 20G rubbermaid container with an aerator that'd work okay until they're big enough to not become food.

Thats a huge pond though, and I would honestly believe, that with a decent amount of plant or decor cover, they would hide out until they felt safe enough to wonder....What I meant by the koi probably wouldn't be chasing the fry for food is that koi are not necessarily carnivorous. They shouldn't be...darting after the fry thinking they're food like how a cichlid might. They might though, depending on if they're well fed or not. If they're not well fed, I could see them interpreting anything that moves on its own as food. Otherwise....the goldfish fry that did get eaten would've been ingested by accident. I've never had a pond though. It might help to put them back in the bucket in the pond but......if it's just a 5G bucket....I'd just keep em in the 10G tank.

If its something like a 50G drum that you have in the pond, then yes, cover the flow holes, add an aerator to the bucket and put them in there. I would maybe, over flow the bucket with pond water every now and again though, so as to simulate a 'water change' since there won't be anymore flow between the drum and the pond.

6. OP
    OP
    Jim2195

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Do you think that I can move some of the bigger ones to the buckets? I have seven goldfish that are larger and are about half an inch. Each bucket is about 5 gallons of so, so if I somehow plug the holes or something, I could put 3-4 babies in each bucket? It’s definitely better then their current situation.

I have pictures of the bigger fry along with one of the buckets that I took out for cleaning (so you can see it) along with a pic of the other bucket in comparison to an adult koi. The buckets are approx. 13 inches in diameter, they are 11 inches deep. The holes in the buckets are 1/4 inch in diameter.

I found some mesh-like stuff in my garage. Is there a way I can use the mesh to overlap the holes but at the same time not poison/hurt the fish? I already washed the mesh stuff pretty well.
    F6248F3B-5374-4EA2-8F1D-D3EF214A3578.EA798FDE-2D7E-426E-9328-139149E15880.A70C41DE-DD3D-43F6-A72E-352DC0F77ECC.D1DAD91E-D434-4580-A923-98C0DEC173A9.59E53072-8856-4A67-8C52-C59C9180A400.C48F4045-1034-4ED3-8294-8868A16B24FC.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Jim2195

Ratings:
    +31
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Right now I am doing a test where I put the larger goldfish in the bucket with holes, (without mesh) inside another bucket, to see if the fish will swim out if given the chance.
    9B34714C-85EB-4EAA-B6C0-2A8B052F1F74.2E2B3B1A-D549-4F91-8CBC-49CA6674851B.

Edit one: I have used a rubber band to hold the mesh stuff in place, seems to work well.
    C47CC7FD-8090-4772-A1FA-070816EFFAED.

Edit two: (several hours later) all seven baby fish are in the buckets safely, everything is well

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019

Become a Fishlore Member