Help over run with green algae.......

skippi

Reaction score
My 55 gallon tank is getting way to over run with green algae. I have some plants in there but not a whole lot. some wisteria, hornwort and those apongonton or something like that bulbs from walmart. I had the ottos in there but they weren't really eating the green algae. they loved the brown algae in the smaller tank I moved them to for breeding... My question is is there a way to help cut back the growth of the green algae??? The tank does get natural light during the day but not direct. What can I do cause that stuff is a pain in the butt to get off the tank.....

Heidi

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
You may want to try bigger or more frequent water changes for starters. I have a 20 gallon that is overrun with algae right now, and water changes seem to help. Also, here's a great article that might help you out. Please be very careful if you add any chemicals to the tank:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I seem to see a pattern of snail cities could you possibly be over feeding a tiny bit? Snail populations seem to explode with over feeding (doesn't take much). Now as to how this relates to the algae - Extra nutrients will feed the algae- this is why extra water changes seem to help it go away somewhat. Just some thoughts
Carol

OP
S

skippi

Reaction score
I could be over feeding. I just don't want my babiesto be hungry. I have been trying to not feed so much at once. will see if that helps. My 55 is down to about 3 snails thanks to my loaches. the red tails do the bigger ones and the striata do the small ones. YEAH!!! Now to get those clowns... will be getting them sometime this week, can't wait.

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know how it is HeidI my Angels and all the loaches are such beggers I'm always feeding them just a pinch more because I just "know" their hungry LOL I learned to do larger or more frequent water changes to keep the algae down and the tanks that don't have loaches get snails hand picked and fed to the loaches
Carol

New Threads