Help! Orange Corys?!

1. fletch Member Member

I have 5 peppered corys and recently the 3 larger ones have turned a really vivid shade of orange. I dont know much about corys so is this normal?

2. Craig Well Known Member Member

lol must b !

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If they appear healthy, I wouldn't worry too much. Go to Planet Catfish and see if you can identify the species and be sure they are peppered corys. I have seen some that were orange as you describe, but they were a different species.

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I have done a lot of research on Cories, and never once have I seen a picture or heard of an orange Cory. Some fish change color before breeding and Cories do breed in trios...just a thought. Am I correct to assume they still have the same spot pattern, just the base color changed? Maybe you should try adding a piece of slate and seeing if they lay eggs. Doing a fairly large water change and adding slightly cooler water will stimulate breeding.

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

6. fletch Member Member

yeah, theyre definately peppered. I think they are just fat! I have lots of dark, large beach pebbles in my tank, will they lay eggs there?

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I usually find eggs on the sides of my tank. I guess you could find eggs anywhere. ;)