HELP! One of My Koi Fish is Missing Half of its Mouth

Verno

HI all,

Today I was feeding the koi fish (I feed them once in a week and a half because the water is cooling down) and I noticed that one of my koi fish that is about 6 inches had something weird looking on its lip. So I caught him and I couldn't believe my eyes.

The fish literally had a wart growing out the side of its mouth and half of its upper lip was missing. The other half of the fish's upper lip looks normal but their is a weird growth above the half of the upper lip remaining. It is almost like half the upper lip deposited itself on top of the intact half.

The the missing part of the lip didn't look infected or anything, but looked rather tender. The wart looked a bit fuzzy around the edges with a bright red spot on the top of the wart. Please help me. I do not know what this is. As far as I can tell, the koi fish doesn't have any problems eating or swimming and is perfectly normal.

I do not think another fish attacked him because everything else in the pond is smaller than him by an inch or two. He is also the dominant one because he is first to eat. My other smaller koi do not exhibit any of these problems. Sorry I couldn't take a picture. I will try to update this post with a picture if I manage to catch him again.

Dadio

HI all,

Today I was feeding the koi fish (I feed them once in a week and a half because the water is cooling down) and I noticed that one of my koi fish that is about 6 inches had something weird looking on its lip. So I caught him and I couldn't believe my eyes.

The fish literally had a wart growing out the side of its mouth and half of its upper lip was missing. The other half of the fish's upper lip looks normal but their is a weird growth above the half of the upper lip remaining. It is almost like half the upper lip deposited itself on top of the intact half.

The the missing part of the lip didn't look infected or anything, but looked rather tender. The wart looked a bit fuzzy around the edges with a bright red spot on the top of the wart. Please help me. I do not know what this is. As far as I can tell, the koi fish doesn't have any problems eating or swimming and is perfectly normal.

I do not think another fish attacked him because everything else in the pond is smaller than him by an inch or two. He is also the dominant one because he is first to eat. My other smaller koi do not exhibit any of these problems. Sorry I couldn't take a picture. I will try to update this post with a picture if I manage to catch him again.

Questions?

Size of pond?
How many fish?
What filtration is being used?
What are your water parameters?
What feed do you use?
How often do you do pond maintenance?

It's a fungus, what kind is hard to tell without photos. Please post photos as this will help me to understand what may be going on with this koi.

A salt dip can help, but we need to know what's going on first.

Verno

Questions?

Size of pond?
How many fish?
What filtration is being used?
What are your water parameters?
What feed do you use?
How often do you do pond maintenance?

It's a fungus, what kind is hard to tell without photos. Please post photos as this will help me to understand what may be going on with this koi.

A salt dip can help, but we need to know what's going on first.

The size of my pond is 100 gallons. (I know its too small, but I am in the process of building a 1,500 gallon pond and they will be rehomed there in about two to three months)

I have 5, 2-3" feeder goldfish as well as two,4"-6" koi in that 100 gallon. (Again I know it is overstocked, the original plan was to have only 2 koi in there. I used the 5 feeder goldfish for cycling and a friend was supposed to take them, but that fell through so I am keeping them currently)

I use HikarI Staple Koi Food about once in one and a half weeks.

I do Pond maintenance once a week. By pond maintenance, I mean a 15-25% water change and siphon the bottom of the pond. Once a month, I wash the filter media, but I leave the biological filtration alone except for a 10 second rinse about every 2 months.

The Water Parameters:

Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
KH: 120
GH: 180

I looked on the laminated card and it said that these parameters are optimal for koi and goldfish.

Filtration:

I know you guys are going to hate me more but I use a 40 gallon filter. It was the only filter I had lying around and this whole project came up in the spur of the moment. A friend of mine works at a nursery that happens to have about 5 ponds, with the largest being about 20,000 gallons with about 40, 2'+ catfish and about 200+ other blue gill. The water is only filtered by valisneria and water lilies and I haven't seen water more crystal clear. There is no pump, no uv light, nothing mechanical. Just plants. So I wanted to try the same thing by getting low priced valisneria and water lilies. Its keeping my water parameters in check as you can see above.

Photos:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry if they are blurry or pixelated, my camera wasn't good and my hand was shaky. Hope you can make out what it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 82

Verno

HI guys. I posted this thread on the forum a few days ago. The title says it all. I first posted this thread in the koi section of the forums, but 1 person responded with a few questions and when I answered them, there was no response.

My koi needs help and I don't know what to do. Sorry for double posting this, but my koi isn't getting better by me just sitting around. Here is the link to the old thread.

tanki60o

Honestly I don't know anything about koi, so I will leave this to koi keepers to answer.
If it was a goldfish, I would have said that it would be mouth rot or it got ripped by other fish. Are there any plecos and what kind? A picture is necessary to tell if it was ripped off or if it's mouth rot. Is it red? It sounds like a late stage of mouth rot. With mouth rot, it gets red, the fish is rubbing, and by the rubbing it comes off. A picture is necessary, along with have you seen rubbing? Water parameters? A hydrogen peroxide swab would help if it IS mouth rot, another reason we need a picture.

Dadio

Getting them in a larger pond is of best interest for sure. But you well know that. Issue is your current pond is a sick pond resulting in what you now have on your hands.

Your going to need to monitor all your fish and the one in the photo can heal, it can be fast or it can take a long time. Depends on the overall health of the koi.

You need to make sure your current pond is aerated and water changes done quite often.

Some use pond salt, some don't. I dose my pond once a year at 1/2 oz per gallon just before winter after 20% water change. This in my opinion helps the health on the koi and pond environment.

This guy, the one that's showing the mouth fungus/rot can benefit from a salt dip and an aerated quarantine tank till he/she shows signs of improvement. For the salt dip I suggest 3/4oz per gallon for up to 1 hour or less if showing stress. I would suggest 2 salt dips over 72 hours with a 24 break inbetween.

If there is open flesh wounds, then peroxide or iodine can be dabbed on the wound, but you need to keep the koi calm so go very easy with him/her. The more stress, the sicker they can get.

I also use Melafix in my salt bath mixes (cap per 10 gallons) with 3/4 oz pond salt per gallon when I need to do a dip if a koi shows signs of any sort of fungus or sore.

Good luck

Verno

If you click the link in my post, you will be taken to the original thread. Thanks for your help

Flowingfins

Your old thread was replied to about an hour ago, just thought I would let you know

Welcome to the forum!

Verno

Is this contagious? I'm not sure I have the resources to get all the stuff you have listed. I'm pretty sure it is anything but a sick pond because I have many airstones and TONS of plants. I also am doubting the quality of the fish at my LFS. They only started stocking koi about a year and a half ago and sell em very cheap. I got mine for 8 bucks a piece. At first I got 3 koi fish and the first one died within 2 weeks because of a mouth problem. However that fish had been picked on by the others and it's jaw bone was sticking out of its mouth. My fish right now just looks like there is an infection, and no bone damages. I also don't have a quarantine tank big enough to hold a koi.

Lucy

If you click the link in my post, you will be taken to the original thread. Thanks for your help

Your old thread was replied to about an hour ago, just thought I would let you know

Welcome to the forum!

**Threads merged to avoid confusion**

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tanki60o
  • Question
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views