Help on how to move Pleco to a new tank

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by husky194, Jul 18, 2015.

1. husky194

husky194 Valued Member Member

I'm going to be moving my approximately 9" Pleco from my 55 to my 125 to live the rest of his life out comfortably.
    Any tips on how to go about catching him without too much stress or drama :;dk
    Both tanks have the exact water parameters and temperature so it's just a matter of catching him carefully and making the move.
    Any suggestions would be great because I'm kind of freaked out about it!!

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I've heard of people laying a bucket or pitcher on the tank bottom and gently coaxing their plecos in to move them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I have a 1 gallon juice pitcher that i use just for tank stuff. I would use something similar and put some food in it. Watch from a distance until he goes in for the food then you got him and can move him with very minimal stress. I wouldn't try to net a fish that big.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes maybe putting a piece of cucumber or zucchini inside a little container and coaxing him to get inside would work?
    Bijou88, clean out your PMs! lol

5. OP
    OP
    husky194

Ahh!! Great idea folks!! I never would have thought about food! He LOVES cucumber! Would a glass container be best or will he care if it's a colored plastic?

6. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Darker would be better if its an option. He would feel safer going into it like a den.

7. OP
    OP
    husky194

Thanks so much for the help!! I'm excited for Archibald to get into his new tank. I know he'll be nervous but it'll be so worth it!

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    husky194

I always like to update the final outcome for others searching this site with the same question. We started out trying to get him to go into a bucket and that only freaked him out so my husband just went in with his bare hands and waited until he settled down in a corner and literally just picked him up with his hand. Right behind the back of the head. For those of you wondering if he was prickly or pokey... according to my husband "not really..."

So there ya have it! It was way easier than I thought it was going to be.

Archibald is now in his final home and has that tank sparkling clean!! The biggest Blood Parrot gave him a few hits when he first arrived but she no longer does that to him. He even goes as far as to so boldly eat her cucumber without allowing her to bully him to quickly. So I'm very happy with the outcome!
    Thanks to all that helped with suggestions.

10. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Glad it worked for you and Archibald. Alison

11. OP
    OP
    husky194

[video=youtube;doZnXC4MTNc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZnXC4MTNc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice