Help on filters

Tuanvo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone, im new to the forum. i really need help and im out of places to ask and i just happen to find this place on google so im giving it a shot. So i recently bought my girlfriend some goldfishes. i've had some before so i know most things about them. we have 4 in a 10 gallon i know its small and cramped so i went out and bought a 30 gallon which is still a bit small but its all i can afford. my main question is what is the best filter i can get with about 80dollars for the 30 gallon. i was thinking about getting a undergravel filter with the 2 powerheads but i was told it wouldnt keep my tank clean at all and it wouldnt work with my goldifsh. (told by a petsmart employee) i really want to keep the tank crystal clear and i really would love the fish to be happy and grow. so any tips would help or recommendations. thanks a lot everyone.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Tuanvo, welcome to fishlore

As suggested, I would not recommend using an under gravel.

Petsmart have the Eheim Classic 2213 canister filter on their website for $89.99 (USD), which would probably do the job.

You could also get the Aqua Clear 300/70 Hang on back for $54 USD.

With Goldfish, they are large waste producers, so you want the biggest filter you can get.

Generally we recommend a minimum 4-5x turnover per hour with a canister, meaning that for 30 gallon, you want about 150 gallon/hr filter. And about 6-8 turnover with a HOB.

Hope that makes sense, I'm sure some other members will jump in with their experience with HOB filters etc. (I'm not real familiar with the US brands etc).

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
marineland c160 canister filter is what i use on a 33 and it's great. I suggest not to do the undergravel filter, even if you don't go with a canister at least get a HOB type, the aquaclear models are praised here.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, everyone loves the Aquaclears (So much that on my next trip to US, I'm bringing a couple back no matter what lol!!)

yukoandk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello and welcome!

I have two canisters running on my 55 gal--Ehiem Classic 2213 and 2215--and I highly recommend the line. With canisters for goldfish, you will want to check the inside fairly often for excessive built up of decomposing matters which can contribute to high nitrate down the road.

I don't have experience with AquaClear, but from what I've heard/read that would be the brand I'd get if I were to chose HOBs over canisters. In that case I'd run two of them on a tank for sure just because of water bypass with HOBs, perhaps two of the model 30s, or 50 and 30. I can't be exact on models suited for your tank size without first hand experience though.

Anyways, here are some links that maybe helpful--seems they're on sale right now and free shipping!

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of goldfish keeping

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to FL!

I'll suggest AC as well, but you won't be able to have 4 goldies in a 30 for long before their growth becomes stunted. Any chance of rehoming them and getting fish that don't get over a foot long? Perhaps you could advertise on craigslist or something for someone with a pond? What kind of goldies are they? If fancies, I'd say you could keep one.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A 30 gallon tank would be suitable for one fancy goldfish. Otherwise, you may want to plan on saving up for a larger tank. If you have fancy goldfish, then you may want to consider a 75 gallon (at least) for down the road for the four of them. Larger, of course, is always better. If the are the common/comet variety then you may want to consider a pond for them. Ponds are not that much more work than a large aquarium and can be quite soothing.
As for the filter, the larger the better. Definitely stay away from under gravel filters - they don't do a whole lot. Either a canister or a hang on back would work. You may even want to consider running two filters. If you have fancies, then I would recommend going with two so you can control the flow back into the tank to keep it from being too strong for the fancies. They are not very strong swimmers and can sometimes be pushed around by the current. If you use a canister filter, you may be able to split the return to reduce the current.
If you are not super attached to the idea of having gravel in the bottom of the tank, I would like to suggest reducing the amount of gravel to either a very thin layer (1/2 inch deep) or just a few larger rocks here and there (landscape gravel works well). It will make it much easier to see where the poop and debris build up and vacuum it out. You could also go completely bare bottom, but I like to have a couple clusters of rock to give the poop and such a place to collect where I can see it and vacuum it out. You will probably have to do water changes once a week to keep up with the high bioload from having four goldies in such a small tank. You could even just vacuum the poop every day doing very small water changes (just enough to suck out the poop) and that would probably help to keep the water quality up.
Any pictures yet? I love to see pictures of other peoples' goldfish...

Tuanvo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for all the response everyone. i really do appreciate all the help. i know the 30 still isnt enough. i have a 50 gallon for back up at home but they still have fish in them. from all the response UGF is out of the question. im not sure if ill have enough money for a canister but ill check it out. i also know that if i have more then one HOB filter then it might give the goldfish a hard time swimming. my girlfriends in love with the fish so i dont think she"ll want to let them go. im sure i can hope that they will live in the 30gal til we can save up for a bigger one. if you guys have any reccommended sites where i can get a good filter for cheap please help me out. thanks so much for all of your help! once i get the 30 up and going i will post pictures and maybe a video.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ryanr said:
Generally we recommend a minimum 4-5x turnover per hour with a canister, meaning that for 30 gallon, you want about 150 gallon/hr filter. And about 6-8 turnover with a HOB.
Great filtration would be 5-6x for canisters and 8-10x for HOBs. For a goldfish tank like you (OP) have, those maximums ought to be minimums.

I would start with an AC70 and add a second filter later.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm....

The whisper filters from tetra aren't great but the EX 70 (? not at home so can't remember if that's it exactly) hasn't caused me too much trouble yet. I have it on my 56 Gallon and it seems to be keeping up with my 3 goldies pretty well. It might be cheaper then the AC's and for cheap sites watch you'r local kijiji, craigslist, freecycle, etc. Sometimes other people in the area are getting out and re-sell their stuff cheaper. Not ideal but if you sanatize it and get new media you'd be good.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Tuanvo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so i should get a AC50 or AC 70?

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go with a 70.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Tuanvo and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can never have too muh filtration, especially with gold fish, so I'd go with the 70. FWIW, I got the 50 because I already have a TopFin 40 on my 37g, but if I didn't I would've gotten the 70.

-Lisa

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you should get both the AC 70 and 50. Run the 70 for now and add the 50 (or another 70) later. The advantage of ACs is that they have adjustable flow, so while 600 gph might be a little much ( 2 AC70s), you can cut the flow back so it doesnt blow the fish around. i believe the lowest flow setting is half the max, so cutting both filter back would yeild 300 gph. the REAL advantage of this is all the extra media the filters can hold. so in a sense, the HOBs become more like a canister filter, which is a good thing.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jaysee said:
i believe the lowest flow setting is half the max
I always thought it was half too, however I just wanted to note, that according to Hagen, the flow rate can be reduced to up to one third the maximum output. So one AC70 which has a maximum flow rate of 300gph can be set to as low as only 100gph.

For those unfamiliar with the changes in the names of AquaClear filters:

The Mini which is listed is now called the AC20, the 150 is now called the AC30, the 200 is now called the AC50, the 300 is now called the AC70 and the 500 is now called the AC110.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've always used power filters for my goldfish tanks. You can get those from any decent supermarket for less than $30. You really don't have to spend $80 on a filter for a 30 gallon aquarium!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kreuztraeger said:
I've always used power filters for my goldfish tanks. You can get those from any decent supermarket for less than $30. You really don't have to spend $80 on a filter for a 30 gallon aquarium!
You do if your putting 4 goldfish in it

Tuanvo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks a lot everyone for all of your help! i purchased a AC70 today. even though i was really aiming for a canister. they had 3 different kinds on sale at PETSMART but they were sold out . oh well. but i do have videos for you guys. one is with the 10 gallon the other is the 30 gallon after. ill post it up once i figure out how too. thanks again everyone for all of your help i appreciate it.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads