Help. Not Happy With Tank Layout.

2211Nighthawk
What the heck should I do with my tank? I have a nerite snail that thinks he allergic to sand so I have to do something about that. And I don’t like this layout so far.

B7B60931-4497-4341-9867-F982B7D92C7F.png

1 angel, 7 corries, 8 harlequins.

aussieJJDude
That wood piece is divine! Can you get more of that, if you had a whole bunch and simulated the blackwater biotope (loosely) it would look very nice.

Maybe consider using some large grey pebbles in there, to help break up all that white.

Likewise, I'd reccomend just getting more plants. I'd look into anubias to help cover the terracotta pots, along with mosses (something nice like xmas or flame.... not java), jungle val to help cover the back, along with crypts (loke wendtiI for the midground, and parva at the front perhaps?) To bring in dense foliage.

Miaw
More plants. I'd recommend adding some rocks into the sand (dig a place in the sand, put the rock there then cover it back up with sand).

If we're strictly talking layout with what you have there already, put all the pots a bit further against the back in kind of a line curved at the corners though. In each back corner corner place one of those two bits of driftwood with I'm assuming java fern.

If you wanted you could camoflauge the pots by building up rocks around them and pouring sand all over them, and plant plants in the gaps.

Take some cuttings of what I'm assuming is water wisteria and plant them between the pots along the back. If it is water wisteria it'll grow like crazy and you can take more cuttings and fill out the back.

If you're lucky you might get some growing horizontally and making lines through the sand, carpeting it.

Maybe have that wood in the middle front then sort of on its side.

Just trying to imagine what I'd do if that was mine

2211Nighthawk
That wood piece is divine! Can you get more of that, if you had a whole bunch and simulated the blackwater biotope (loosely) it would look very nice.

Maybe consider using some large grey pebbles in there, to help break up all that white.

Likewise, I'd reccomend just getting more plants. I'd look into anubias to help cover the terracotta pots, along with mosses (something nice like xmas or flame.... not java), jungle val to help cover the back, along with crypts (loke wendtiI for the midground, and parva at the front perhaps?) To bring in dense foliage.
I might be able to get more wood. It’s a hacked off branch from my backyard that’s been sitting in my garage all winter.

More plants. I'd recommend adding some rocks into the sand (dig a place in the sand, put the rock there then cover it back up with sand).

If we're strictly talking layout with what you have there already, put all the pots a bit further against the back in kind of a line curved at the corners though. In each back corner corner place one of those two bits of driftwood with I'm assuming java fern.

If you wanted you could camoflauge the pots by building up rocks around them and pouring sand all over them, and plant plants in the gaps.

Take some cuttings of what I'm assuming is water wisteria and plant them between the pots along the back. If it is water wisteria it'll grow like crazy and you can take more cuttings and fill out the back.

If you're lucky you might get some growing horizontally and making lines through the sand, carpeting it.

Maybe have that wood in the middle front then sort of on its side.

Just trying to imagine what I'd do if that was mine
It’s water change day so I might mess with things. And yes, wisteria and java fern. I forget what the other one two are called. I’ve got some NICE wisteria in my other tank, might rearrange everything.

AquaticJ
As Miaw just mentioned, cut the Wisteria basically anywhere and it’ll grow a new plant. You can start with one little plant and end up having a million now, like me
IMG_0372.JPG

varmint
Hmm... Here's my take. I would take out the big terra pot and put a piece of driftwood, from the back corner, angled towards the front. A little to the left, of the right back corner and behind the driftwood, I would plant a good size Sword. Behind the existing piece of wood, I wood plant one of the Val family plants. Anubias Nana tied to the driftwood and low level rock in the right front corner. Just a thought.

2211Nighthawk
I need to go hack up another branch... gonna go see what I can find.

2211Nighthawk
Hmm... Here's my take. I would take out the big terra pot and put a piece of driftwood, from the back corner, angled towards the front. A little to the left, of the right back corner and behind the driftwood, I would plant a good size Sword. Behind the existing piece of wood, I wood plant one of the Val family plants. Anubias Nana tied to the driftwood and low level rock in the right front corner. Just a thought.
Heh. The little green fluff in the front is supposed to be a sword. I can’t belive it’s still alive.

varmint
Heh. The little green fluff in the front is supposed to be a sword. I can’t belive it’s still alive.
Root tabs are your friend.

2211Nighthawk
Root tabs are your friend.
There is!! Looked worse (belive it or not) when I got it.

And I found sticks!!

A3D38EFE-82AB-4FCB-8E21-E7301978E13B.png

FB55D680-6135-4A80-9A20-DCCD62B896DC.png

Gonna have to wait on rocks. My back yard is still to frozen.

GrayGray4231
Put the branch in the back.

Tony M
I’d go with some really big rocks.

2211Nighthawk
Put the branch in the back.
Kinda what I’m thinking. I have to soak them for a week so we’ll see what happens then. My buckets are too small...

ralph113
pile up the pots, put the plants below it, larger on the back smaller on front and the stick just lay it on the floor and.make the branch stick up

2211Nighthawk
Now THIS is how a tank should look! (Plus more plants eventrally)

494FB180-860A-44CD-B6D4-F7E103692E4A.png

GrayGray4231
I love it!!

2211Nighthawk
I love it!!
Now to deal with the joys of cleaning it. Ugh... gonna be a pain. Plus the big branch is still a floater so I’m gonna have to pull it out to scrape the sludge off it. Oh well. Looks good right now.

Shadey
That's great. I like that your heights are now all over the tank rather than just in the middle.
More green never hurts

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigg
Replies
Views
xev
  • Question
Replies
Views
MacZ