Help! No Power

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marco Rodriguez, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Marco Rodriguez

Marco Rodriguez Valued Member Member

Hi!

I am not home for the day and just found out we have no power. I have a 20g and a 55g. Will they be okay? For how long? The 20 only has a rubber lip and 2 Rams. That's the one I'm really concerned about

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I think they'll be fine. Unless a tank is full or overstocked there's not usually an issue. I have guppies which like a lot of water movement, so when the power goes out I inject air with a bike pump every half hour. You only will need to do that if they get stressed.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I've lost power for a day here and there. Unless there are other mitigating circumstances like your house has no insulation and equalizes with the outdoor ambient temperature, you will be fine.

4. Reef13G YT

Reef13G YT Valued Member Member

simple, just insert some air with a bike pump every 15 minutes or so, if they get really stressed out move it to 10 minutes, you can do 30 if you want

5. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

I've had power outage for 24 hrs (in the summer) and everything was fine after power came back on, my aquariums are planted and not over stocked. If you see fish going to the surface for air you can circulate the water every so often by hand, with big spoon-ladle. If you have HOB filters take tank water and pour it through them.

How much you love your fish determines how much work you'll put into it. I really love mine so I bought a generator....cuz wife also loves TV...;)

edit= I really like Reef13G YT idea but, if bike air pumps are lubed some of the lube could get into the tank if not filtered.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

To do what exactly?

7. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

To aerate the water. IME the biggest issue with no power is lack of oxygen.

8. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Oh, one thing to keep an eye on is your filter. Not all of them self prime when the power is restored, and they may need some maintenance.

If your power is out for a prolonged time, you may want to bag and sink your filter media to keep it from drying out completely.

9. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

I'm new here so I'm not sure how everyone feels about aquarium coop. He has a good video on what to use/what to have stocked up for a power outage. I believe they should sell a battery powered air stone for like 10 bucks at your lfs

10. Reef13G YT

also lol, not necessary just something they would like, if you have like a heating pad, if they like warm water, turn your heating pad up high and press it to both sides of the glass, lol probably won't do anything

11. W

Will170 Valued Member Member

If you use something to keep the heat in I'm sure it would. Something reflective such as tin foil or something would help. Atleast your keeping some heat in the tank.
    Almost said keep the tank light on but I guess that is impossible. Lmao

I like the idea someone put up about keeping water running thru your filter.

12. Reef13G YT

Yeah, another thing they would like "if they had an auto-feeder" to hand feed them. obviously

13. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

For future reference you can get a battery powered air pump from amazon which you can connect a sponge filter to. I do that since we get power outs often.

14. Yves

Yves Valued Member Member

I have a battery powered pump just for such occasion, I bought it at my local LFS, also I would be leery of using a bicycle pump since you might introduce oils in your water, the o-ring on those pump are lubricated.

15. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

That!
    We lost power already 3x this summer and I'm tired of moving water by hand all night when I should be getting sleep!
    I broke down and bought a generator that can keep the tank, fridge, freezer with ice, air fans and a couple gaming PC's going.

16. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Cut some potatoes, put them into a plastic water bottle. Get some airline tub and poke a hole into the cap. It should be a tight fit with no air going out. Pour some Hydrogen peroxide into the bottle, cap it and it should emit enough air and bubbles to help the tank for a few hours.

17. ystrout

ystrout Well Known Member Member

I've lost power a few times. My biggest concern was the filter, so I just took the media and set it at the bottom of the tank. I didn't think to airate the tank by moving the water around, but I probably should have.

It ended after 12 hours and all fish were fine. They basically just went to sleep because it go so dark in the appartment and they didn't have their light on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice