Help! Nitrite spike?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by BlueMint, Jul 17, 2015.

1. BlueMint

BlueMint Valued Member Member

Hi, everybody.

I just tested my water parameters (I like to make sure everything is good). Ammonia is at 0, Nitrite is at 0.50, and my nitrates are around 5-10.

My tank is 60 gallons with only 6 Zebra Danios in there. The filter is a AquaClear 110 if that makes any difference. Its been set up for a couple of months now (maybe 3?). The nitrogen cycle was supposed to be finished some weeks ago too as I had no nitrites before.

I did my weekly 25% water change yesterday. I didnt know my nitrites were off at the time.

Will this harm my fish? As in, is this an emergency? What should I do? Could it be that they are being fed too much? I feed them tropical fish flakes. Ive never had a problem with nitrites but Im thinking that it could be overfeeding. Last week, I was out of the country and someone else fed my danios. I told them how much ( I give them around 3 or 4 flakes) but when I got back, I asked them how much they had actually been feeding them and they said around 10 flakes a day (WHAT?!). In my book, that is overfeeding. But I could be wrong.

Could that be the cause of the nitrites? Do I need to do a water change? Yes, Im freaking out. And yes, I may be overreacting.

Thank you.

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Don't panic, .5 isn't too horrible. It might level out on its own but doing another water change to get it down immediately couldn't hurt. It could very well be from overfeeding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd recommend at least a 50% water change to try to get the nitrites down. Then let the bacteria catch up in a couple days. It's possible it was from over feeding if you didn't add anything new to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    BlueMint

Okay, Ill do a water change tomorrow. Its late right now and my parents would freak :-\. Is another 25% good?

EDIT: Okay, Ill do a 50. That should keep my afternoon busy, haha :p

Afterwards, should I keep feeding them like I normally do?

And no, I havent added anything since adding the danios.

5. Dom90

Yes keep feeding as normally.

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I also say yes to feeding them normally. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

This isn't a permanent fix but, if you have prime you can dose your tank with x5 the regular dose to detoxify nitrites in an emergency. That would give you some extra time to fix the nitrite situation.

8. Dom90

You have a point there. I had to dose about 3x Prime because I still had 0.5 ppm of nitrites when my fish came in and my cycle was a couple days away from finishing. This would also work in the OP's case.

9. OP
    OP
    BlueMint

Okay. I did the 50% water change today. Ill check the parameters tomorrow to give everything time to settle a little I guess. Im kind of hesitant in adding a chemical to the tank since it wont be a permanent solution... But if this doesnt work, Ill make sure to use it.

How long should it take for the bacteria to catch up and get rid of the nitrites?

Thank you all!

10. Dom90

Should only take 2-3 days at the most since it was only a small nitrite spike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice