Help!!! Nitrite Nitrate Ammonia Problems

Pipe fitter 455

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For a week I have had a had a huge problem with my 55 gallon tank my ammonia has been at .25ppm my nitrite has been maxed out on my API test kit my nitrate has been swinging my tank from low to high I have done a 50% water change every day for a week and last night I did almost a 100% water change left 2 inches of water in the tank I do my water changes from gravel vacuum. My tank filteration is as follows 1 aqua top 400 uv canister filter a hob double biowheel filter a under gravel filter with 2 power heads connected yesterday I added ammonia remover granular in a mesh media bag to my canister filter added API quick start and API stress Zime and a prefilter spong to my intake to the tank in case the biological filter is the problem my fish load is 10 neon tetras 4 dwarf gouramies 2 neon blue goramies 5 clown loaches 2 inches 8 giant danos 2.5 inches 2 6 inch plecos 1 betta 2 African dwarf frogs and do realize that the clown loaches and plecos are going to get to big for the the tank I do have to 75 gallon bowfronts and a 32 gallon grow out tanks for when they get to big I have lost a neon blue gouramie this week and this mourning all fish and frogs are swimming at the top of the tank with there mouths out of the water air breathing I don't want to loose my fish really happy with the color and movement of the tank please help me fix what is going on with my water

Mushishi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know you said the problem has been going on for a week, but how long have you had water in the tank? You have plenty of media for bacteria to grow on and your filtration is more than adequate. I would say at this point its just time. With that much stocking you also are going to have fluctuating parameters for awhile. Do you feed the same amount at the same time each day?

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would recommend doing water changes back to back until nitrites and ammonia is zero. You will just have to keep doing water changes until the beneficial bacteria stabilizes to match the bio-load of the fish.

Seems like a real hassle, I know... but, the expense of treating/replacing fish due to the bacterial infections they get from ammonia/nitrite exposure is the real drag.

OP
P

Pipe fitter 455

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mushishi said:
I know you said the problem has been going on for a week, but how long have you had water in the tank? You have plenty of media for bacteria to grow on and your filtration is more than adequate. I would say at this point its just time. With that much stocking you also are going to have fluctuating parameters for awhile. Do you feed the same amount at the same time each day?
Tank has been set up for 2.5 months feed them same time same amount every day

Discusluv said:
I would recommend doing water changes back to back until nitrites and ammonia is zero. You will just have to keep doing water changes until the beneficial bacteria stabilizes to match the bio-load of the fish.

Seems like a real hassle, I know... but, the expense of treating/replacing fish due to the bacterial infections they get from ammonia/nitrite exposure is the real drag.
Should I move the fish to my quarantine tank wile I do the water changes back to back today?

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, not necessary. They will be fine.

Edit: When you do get the nitrites and ammonia down to zero add 1 tsp of salt per 10 gallons of water to the tank. Salt is one of the best remedies against nitrite toxicity there is. This is a low concentration of salt and should be fine for all your inhabitants.

OP
P

Pipe fitter 455

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Discusluv said:
So I just have to do water changes today until I get did of all the ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pipe fitter 455 said:
So I just have to do water changes today until I get did of all the ammonia nitrite and nitrate?
Yes, one after the other-- then add salt and retest tomorrow. Repeat.
You are going through a mini-cycle.
You either added fish recently or lost some beneficial bacteria somehow...

OP
P

Pipe fitter 455

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Discusluv said:

Edit: When you do get the nitrites and ammonia down to zero add 1 tsp of salt per 10 gallons of water to the tank. Salt is one of the best remedies against nitrite toxicity there is. This is a low concentration of salt and should be fine for all your inhabitants.
Table salt or aquarium salt?

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I often see kosher salt mentioned as a substitute for aquarium salt.

Try feeding less and look for waste decomposing in your substrate or filter. Every bit of waste is decomposing and adding ammonia to the water.

If I have a major ammonia problem I'll stop feeding for a day or two. If it's not too bad I'll feed half rations.

Mushishi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Discusluv said:
Yes, but "almost" is the operative word here ...
why be specific when their are exceptions?
Sorry just like to make sure they are fully aware of the fact and usually sea salt can be bought cheaper in bulk than table salt, from where I am anyhow lol.
Its rarer to find unusable sea salt but VERY common to find unusable table salt. Also depending on the grain size measurements can be messed up. I was following instructions for non-iodized table salt, fine particles, but had aquarium salt, so the measurements didn't align and I am glad I looked it up first after thinking of the possible issue. API aquarium salt in super cheap here too.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom