Help! Nitrite levels not dropping!

IsabellaRomona

Reaction score
So my 20 gal community fish tank has been having some trouble with cycling. Its currently on day 24. On DAY 14, the nitrite levels went up to 5 ppm and then has been at 10 ppm for 9 DAYS. I did a 50% water change today. Btw, I have been adding ammonia almost every day and the ammonia keeps dropping to 0. For a couple days I added to much and it was at 4 ppm. However, it dropped down to 0. Am I adding to much ammonia? Pleaseeeee helpppp I want to get my fish sooooonnnn. Should I wait a couple days to test the nitrite and not add any ammonia? Or will that just kill all the bacteria and then I'll need to start over?

OP
I

IsabellaRomona

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
Are you reading any nitrates? If you are reading nitrates and nitrites, it just means your bacteria colony needs some time to expand.
Yes I am reading Nitrates. Do you know typically how long it takes for bacteria colonies to expand? Also, should I still be dosing ammonia?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I would add ammonia until the Nitrites are gone also.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IsabellaRomona said:
Yes I am reading Nitrates. Do you know typically how long it takes for bacteria colonies to expand? Also, should I still be dosing ammonia?
Depends on many factors. Filter capacity, GPH, media, amount of bacteria initially started with, airation...

It can take a long time, but it’s important to be patient. You want the environment to be safe and healthy for your soon-to-be fish.

OP
I

IsabellaRomona

Reaction score
StarGirl said:
Yes I would add ammonia until the Nitrites are gone also.
there is over 10 ppm nitrites and 200 nitrates, 0 ppm ammonia. Should I add it?

New Threads