Help! Nitrates with no Nitrites?

Chomas007

Hi guys... It's me again... asking for more help regarding my chemistry homework (aka nitrogen cycle) lol.
Anyway, Its almost been a week of cycling the tank and yes, I understand I am nowhere near close to finishing the cycle but heres the situation. I have 1ppm ammonia present in the tank right now with no nitrites but 5 ppm nitrate? Correct me if I am wrong but... you can't have nitrate without nitrite right? Here are the pictures. The one with nitrites present was two days ago and the one without was taken today.

1631505765944.png
It wasn’t letting me post the second picture… here it is.
AC1DE44A-8A9A-4E5A-AFCF-D875C7A06956.jpeg

Bwood22

You only get nitrates from nitrite. Ideally you would have 0 nitrite because it all converted into nitrate.

So to answer your question: yes, technically you can have nitrate without nitrite....because that's what you want.

When was the last time you dosed ammonia and what is your ammonia source?

Chomas007

the last time I dosed ammonia was maybe last thursday or wednesday? definitely not in the last 2-3 days though. the source was Dr. Tim's Ammonium chloride. However, yesterday I added in new plants into the aquarium. one pot of anubias nana the small one and one pogostemon helferi. and two seachem root tabs.
the last time I dosed ammonia was maybe last thursday or wednesday? definitely not in the last 2-3 days though. the source was Dr. Tim's Ammonium chloride. However, yesterday I added in new plants into the aquarium. one pot of anubias nana the small one and one pogostemon helferi. and two seachem root tabs.
the tank has stayed at a constant 1 ppm ammonia since friday.

Bwood22

the tank has stayed at a constant 1 ppm ammonia since friday.
Hrmmm....I would hold off on the root tabs for now. They contain nitrogen and phosphorus and you already have enough nutrients in the water via ammonia and nitrate. The extra fertilizer can lead to rapid algae growth.

Without the root tabs in there what you will see is a reduction in ammonia and nitrate because the plants are eating it up. The plants will actually help your cycle.

Leave everything as is for now and check your levels again in 24 hours. Give the plants some time to do what they do. After things level out we can consider redosing ammonia.

Chomas007

u think i should just remove the root tabs from the tank and toss them?

DoubleDutch

Did you check the tapwater as well ?

Bwood22

u think i should just remove the root tabs from the tank and toss them?
Honestly, yes I would.
And test your tap water too.

Chomas007

Did you check the tapwater as well ?
The tap water only has 0.25 ammonia in it and nothing else. no nitrite or nitrate.
Honestly, yes I would.
And test your tap water too
Okay i removed them. My pogostemon helferi was really flimsy and sad. they disintegrated in my hand... and yeah i tested the tap. it only has 0.25 ppm ammonia

HKsai

Not gonna lie…that nitrate test looks a bit off, especially the first photo. Maybe it’s lighting. I would do the test again.

Chomas007

Not gonna lie…that nitrate test looks a bit off, especially the first photo. Maybe it’s lighting. I would do the test again.
yeah i see what you mean. honestly it looks orangy yellow in person but after looking at it reaaal close it seems closer to 5ppm nitrate. Ill do it again and post results in comments

HKsai

yeah i see what you mean. honestly it looks orangy yellow in person but after looking at it reaaal close it seems closer to 5ppm nitrate. Ill do it again and post results in comments
It usually looks more like yellow orange or red orange when it is higher ppm but never brownish for me. Again, maybe it’s the lighting.

Chomas007

ohhhhh you mean for the older picture... yeah that was definitely lighting lol it was 10 ppm for the old one.
ohhhhh you mean for the older picture... yeah that was definitely lighting lol it was 10 ppm for the old one.
It usually looks more like yellow orange or red orange when it is higher ppm but never brownish for me. Again, maybe it’s the lighting.
i tested again though Im just waiting 5 min now for the test to develop

i tested again though Im just waiting 5 min now for the test to develop
Here’s the new one
DEE1D71F-C562-442F-8B96-391C30E6B269.jpeg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
  • Question
Replies