Help! Newbie to live plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lindsey Stallings, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Lindsey StallingsNew MemberMember

Hi!

I swear I've tried googling this myself. But I'm having a really hard time understanding what each plant needs and if there is one general fertilizer I can use for everything.

I have a $100 credit for aquarium arts. I planned to get a female betta fish. But other than that, I decided to make my 3 tanks all planted tanks instead of just regular decorations. I wanted some help on what plants to get though. I'm looking for minimal cost as far as keeping it up long term. I really don't have much money. I don't mind a lot of work. I just can't put in a lot of money.

Anyway, my three tanks include: a ten gallon, a 15 gallon column, and a 3 gallon. All tanks are filtered and heated.

Right now, the three gallon has a piece of driftwood with anubias attached. I'm looking to attach one other anubias nana. Will this require any fertilizer or additional care?

The 15 gallon I was considering adding the combo pack from Aquarium Arts of Moneywort, Dark Red Ludwigia, and Green Cabomba. Do these need special fertilizer or care?

And for the ten gallon I was looking to add mats of java ferns, 2 I think. What would these require?

Can you think of any other beginner plants I should add in? If so, what do they require? I still have about $25 more I can spend.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

2. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

I'm new to aquarium plants as well but make sure you have the proper lighting for the plants you choose. I just had to buy a better light for the plants I wanted.

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lindsey StallingsNew MemberMember

That's why I chose most of the ones I put on that list. They are all listed as low-light plants. :)

4. LJC6780

LJC6780Well Known MemberMember

Good deal! I didn't even think about lighting when I bought mine! I do like the new light though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice