Help! Newbie To A Planted Tank. What Am I Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by James105, Aug 21, 2019.

1. James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi Guys,

So I have recently set up a new 33 Gal. I have included real plants for the first time and I am having some trouble. My substrate is Caribsea EcoComplete, and I have bottled CO2 and Seachem flourish that I am adding once or week a so. My tank is a Fluval Roma 125 and I'm using the light that come with it. I have included some pics.

I have planted some Amazon Swords and some Java Fern (as far as I know) as well as 2 long grass type plants for the background. I am about 2 weeks in and the grass type plants have gone brown and thin, and almost tangled into a ball like shape. I cut one down short and left the other to experiment which is now looking the same. My other plants seem to be going ok although some of the tips are browning a little.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. phishRfriends

phishRfriendsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +107
    Experience:
    Just started
    The tall grass like plant looks like Vallisneria to me. I'd trim back the brown bits and let it settle, it'll start growing new green leaves soon enough and eventually runners, so you'll find new plants of it popping up in other parts of the aquarium before long.

3. OP
    OP
    James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok thanks for the info, that is exactly the look I am after! It might be a stupid question, but should I trim the plant in the tank or can I pull it out and snip it so that it doesn't go all over the tank?

4. phishRfriends

Ratings:
    +107
    Experience:
    Just started
    Trim it in the tank, if you pull it out you'll be disturbing the roots. You can use a fish net to collect all the trimmings.

5. OP
    OP
    James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok cool I have planted it into the substrate still with the foam ring at the base of the roots. Is that correct?

6. phishRfriends

Ratings:
    +107
    Experience:
    Just started
    Might be better to take that foam off if you can, although I don't know if that's right or wrong tbh. I took it off my Val so I could separate it in to a few little plants.

7. Carmen79

Carmen79New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +34
    Experience:
    Just started
    New plants will need some time to settle in the tank. Some leaves can even die, when the plant was grown not totally submerged. Until it gets used to being under water, and new leaves grow, you'll have to wait a bit and trim the dead ones.