Help! Newbie here

renzsalazar

I am on my Week 2 of Fish In Cycle (Betta Fish) 5gal cube tank. My tank is on a full diatom bloom right now and there are signs of green algae forming on the side of the tank. I would like to ask where am I on my Fish In Cycle right now? My API Test Results are the following:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: between 0 ppm to 5 ppm??? (Pls. See attached picture)

I also added IAL to lower the pH of my tank after a 25% water change yesterday. I am also using API Quickstart after water change and SeaChem Stability everyday. TIA! Hoping to fully cycle my tank in the near future.

20210926_114350.jpgHere is the picture of my 5 gal cube tank. The green algae is starting to form on the side of the tank. My lighting is 8 to 10 hrs everyday.

Attachments

• 20210926_111854.jpg
    20210926_111854.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 8

Tigerburp

I am on my Week 2 of Fish In Cycle (Betta Fish) 5gal cube tank. My tank is on a full diatom bloom right now and there are signs of green algae forming on the side of the tank. I would like to ask where am I on my Fish In Cycle right now? My API Test Results are the following:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: between 0 ppm to 5 ppm??? (Pls. See attached picture)
Your ph is a little high but other then that well done

renzsalazar

Your ph is a little high but other then that well done
Thanks! Can i add more IAL? I don't like to add pH buffer it might affect my on going cycle.

Flyfisha

Hi renzsalazar welcome to fishlore.

It would have been nicer to see the results of a test before any water change? However as it’s just week two it’s far far to early to expect any kind of bacteria to have established in the tank unless you added a dirty filter or other media from an established tank?

Have you tested your tap water? For nitrates etc?
Don’t worry about the PH in an uncycled tank.
Continue water changes every 48 hours.
Don’t worry about any algae at the moment. It’s doing more good than harm at the moment. It is never harmful but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

All betta tanks must have a lid. That is not optional.
Not a betta but short and to the point.

Tigerburp

Thanks! Can i add more IAL? I don't like to add pH buffer it might affect my on going cycle.
Nothing wrong with more IAL

Flyfisha

You ask about adding more leaf. There is not much point as you WILL be changing water often. Adding leaf to a bucket of change water 2 days before you add it to the tank is an option?

renzsalazar

Hi renzsalazar welcome to fishlore.

It would have been nicer to see the results of a test before any water change? However as it’s just week two it’s far far to early to expect any kind of bacteria to have established in the tank unless you added a dirty filter or other media from an established tank?

Have you tested your tap water? For nitrates etc?
Don’t worry about the PH in an uncycled tank.
Continue water changes every 48 hours.
Don’t worry about any algae at the moment. It’s doing more good than harm at the moment. It is never harmful but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

All betta tanks must have a lid. That is not optional.
Not a betta but short and
I apologize I forgot to mention I also added a strip of filter media of an established black gold fish tank from a friend. I will try to test my stock water later. I have 2 bucket of stock water and I am always adding dechlorinator. Thanks for the advice! That was one heck of a jump
You ask about adding more leaf. There is not much point as you WILL be changing water often. Adding leaf to a bucket of change water 2 days before you add it to the tank is an option?
Will do this later. Thanks for the advice!

Bwood22

...I am also using API Quickstart after water change and SeaChem Stability everyday.
Two things here....
1. Why are you using both of these products?
They do the same thing but they are not the same. And while I haven't done any experiments myself and I don't own a microscope...I have read that it is possible to have competing strains of bacteria and that is counter productive to your cycle.

2. What water conditioner are you using?

renzsalazar

Two things here....
1. Why are you using both of these products?
They do the same thing but they are not the same. And while I haven't done any experiments myself and I don't own a microscope...I have read that it is possible to have competing strains of bacteria and that is counter productive to your cycle.

2. What water conditioner are you using?
Okay thanks for the advice. Maybe im just going to stick to seachem stability and follow the recommended dosage everyday.

I am using this water conditioner.

Attachments

• 502294E6-C1E1-4B30-89A1-7A427A8FEFB6.jpeg
    502294E6-C1E1-4B30-89A1-7A427A8FEFB6.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 3

Flyfisha

Post #7 ,
Now you say you have added a little of the real bacteria I would go so far as to say anything from a bottle is unnecessary and counter-productive? Anyway you need not buy another bottle when that one runs out in my opinion.

renzsalazar

Post #7 ,
Now you say you have added a little of the real bacteria I would go so far as to say anything from a bottle is unnecessary and counter-productive? Anyway you need not buy another bottle when that one runs out in my opinion.
Yes I added a strip of filter media given to me by my friend on my HOB filter. Do you recommend to stop the dosage of seachem stability? TIA!

Flyfisha

We all have our own opinions on things sold. We all do a little research and form an opinion from a little time in the hobby. I refuse to tell you what to do . But can say nobody in my local club uses any bottles of bacteria at all . I won’t go into wither or not that brand of bottled bacteria ever had the correct strains of bacteria before it was sealed without oxygen and without food and sat on a shelf at whatever temperature. You can probably understand that I think it’s snake oil?

Its possibly the none self reproducing ( wrong kind) bacteria will help the fish by consuming ammonia while the real bacteria grows? It may also be possible that it’s starving the real bacteria?

I will say I recommend not buying any more. And admit I brought similar brands in the first few months with my first tank.

renzsalazar

We all have our own opinions on things sold. We all do a little research and form an opinion from a little time in the hobby. I refuse to tell you what to do . But can say nobody in my local club uses any bottles of bacteria at all . I won’t go into wither or not that brand of bottled bacteria ever had the correct strains of bacteria before it was sealed without oxygen and without food and sat on a shelf at whatever temperature. You can probably understand that I think it’s snake oil?

Its possibly the none self reproducing ( wrong kind) bacteria will help the fish by consuming ammonia while the real bacteria grows? It may also be possible that it’s starving the real bacteria?

I will say I recommend not buying any more. And admit I brought similar brands in the first few months with my first tank.
Well you are probably right. Maybe the real bacteria is having a hard time since the bottled bacteria is being dosed everyday. For a newbie like me i am overwhelmed that there are so many products right now that really helps to condition the tank that is why I cant help myself but to try it out also. I think none of these products existed 20 years ago. The aquarium hobby evolved so much.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nianichole
Replies
Views
bumblinBee
Replies