Help! Newbie here. Recently deceased Red Oscar/ Pleco. Sick?

danasart

Reaction score
Hi. I am hoping that someone can help me. I recently had an Red Oscar die. :-[ It was pale and hung at the top of the tank. Looked like it was gasping. Would not eat. Now my Pleco. has has a spot by the base of his Dorsal Fin that it bright pink and slowly getting larger. Next to that he now has 2 scale patches that are whitish looking. Seems to be eating fine.. Have noticed that when he defecates, it is in a long string that seems to take awhile for him to lose. I have another Oscar and looks like he is getting a light spot on the edge of one of his gills. He has a voracious appetite and swims very energetically most of the time. Is there anyone that I can send Photos to that can help me determine if my Pleco is sick or just minorly injured? I am very very worried! Thanks in advance!

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What is the size of the tank? What are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? What and how many fish are in there?

Without a bit more info it is hard to say what is wrong.

danasart

Reaction score
Hi- Thanks for your reply.   I do not know what the chemical readings on the water are.  Three weeks ago I completly emptied the tank, scrubbed all the sides down, threw out all the plastic plants and replaced with live ones.  Replaced with treated water, so water should be fine.  Also replaced filter system with a new one rated for 35 gallons. The tank is 25 gallons and currently has one 9" Pleco. and one 41/2" Red Tiger Oscar.  I have had this tank for almost 3 years and never had a problem- has been extremely healthy.  The problem began when I bought the Oscars from Petco.  I thank you in advance for any further assistance that you can give to me-  Dana

i

i

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
whoa,did you rplace any of the"happy bacteria "back into the tank,by this, i mean did you wash the gravel completely in soapy suds or similiar and the orniments. i would be doing a test befre putting the fish in as the good bacteria lie in the gravel and on the filter media not neccessarrily in the water(from what i am led to believe)you could be doing more damage than good. therefore you might be going through another cycle

regards Dazzler

danasart

Reaction score
Hi Dazzler! , Thanks for getting back to me! I did not use any soap or chemicals to clean the tank. All I did with the gravel was wash it well under warm water to remove ammonia, debris, and fish waste. No soap pr chemicals were used on anything. If I sent photos of my Pleco. could you identify his problem?. I have four live plants, natural gravel that I have had for several years, a large clam shell, four Geods, and a piece of Coral. All were in the tank previously before I had any problems with the exception of the live plants. Hoping to hear from you again soon! Thanks again- Dana

dazzler

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi dana, i dont have any experience with plecos' im sorry check the "freshwater fish disease" or go to the species specific boards. the people we have here are just simply brilliant. help is not far away try to post the photo into your thread when you start a topic. there is a sticky to show you how. people here can work magic even more so with photos.

if you have washed your gravel and other "stuff" too much you may have washed your good bacteria away. they bacteria we need lie in the gravel and on the filter media its best to rinse your filter floss and other medias in used tank water! tap water has chlorine and chloramine. which is not good for the fish
test your water AMMONIA pH NITRiTES and NITRaTES and post this on the disease board

good luck i will keep checking in on you

regards Dazzler

danasart

Reaction score
Hi Dazzler Thanks again for the reply. I did not have a choice about the cleaning that I did. I had a bluegill that I had for months in the tank with the Pleco. My pump went, and the Bluegill died and the water well let us just say it was very very nasty, hence my stripping down the entire tank. I will take your advice and get a chem. kit and try to post a photo in the appropriate area. Thanks again. Your guidance is truly appreciated! Dana

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom