Help Newbie 10 gallon stocking!

1. amanda2000 Initiate Member

Hello, I have recently purchased a 10-gallon tank and was hoping to get some help and ideas for stocking fish! Now I know 10 gallons is not a lot to work with however it is all I could afford and is all I have room for at the moment. I would love to have several freshwater small fish in this tank and colorful as well. I was hoping to stock the tank with a few ornaments and gravel. If yall could give me some stocking options that would be wonderful and I also would like an algae eater. I really want some colorful fish for this tank. I do not plan on upgrading to a bigger tank so if you could provide fish that do not grow largely that would help immensely. Thank you so much! I would like to purchase this tank if it is helpful. "MARINELAND® 10 Gallon BioWheel LED Aquarium Kit." Please remember I am a beginner!

2. Aquarium Newb Member Member

I would go with some ember tetras and some shrimp. There isnt an algae eater that would fit in a 10 gallon to my knowledge other than a shrimp/snail. Personally I would go with red cherry shrimp, expensive but they look great. Ghost shrimp are cheap but you can get whisker shrimp mixed up in them and whisker shrimp kill fish. There is a list someone made with all kinds of fish for a 10 gallon, ill see if I can find the link for you.

3. Aquarium Newb Member Member

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You could do a Betta with inverts tank. Snails and shrimp with a betta as the only fish.

Or you could do guppies, tetra, rasbora, platies.

There was a list of suggestions for stocking a 10 gallon but I lost it, maybe somebody else has the link.

EDIT: Nevermind hehe they got it.

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

why are the letters so big?

6. amanda2000 Initiate Member

could a mixture of those fish go together? if so how many? if not, what would be my options with those fish alone? Thank you! :)

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I would recommend 6 of one of those schooling fish, with some ghost shrimp or something too.

You could also try a group of 10 of some ember tetra alone.

And if you do Betta you'd want shrimp and snails with it but no other fish.

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Heads up I tried to do snails with my Betta in a 10gallon and he aggressively hunted my mysteries so I put one of my other male bettas in the ten gallon with snails and it's fine. Make sure to have plans what to do with the snails or Betta if they turn out to not be able to live together.

9. Kwig Well Known Member Member

6 platies would be a huge bioload to a 10 gallon. I personally like 4 to 5 MALE guppies for a variety in a ten gallon.
    Mine have 10 celestial pearl danios and cherry shrimp but I'm thinking of switching to chili Rasbora when the last of the danios dies off.

10. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

For an algea eater in the 10 gal you could do 3 amano shrimp , a school of ember tetras would work and they get to be a lovely burnt orange color and are very peaceful. A school of CPDS also would work with amano shrimp. There are other small fish as well that would do well with them as well. Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Alison:;hi1

11. amanda2000 Initiate Member

Sice ember tetras are hard to find near me, I was thinking about doing a tank with a single male betta and a school of neon tetras. Is this possible and if so what are my options? I also thought the Starfire tetras were great, are they schooling fish? can they be with bettas too? Y'all are great!

12. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Nope, not a good idea.
    Neon tetras need much cooler water than bettas. Bettas with community fish is a huge gamble and you'd want a larger tank to attempt it. Neons are small but highly active fish that do best in a 20 gallon long or bigger, they need the lateral space to swim.