Help!! New to aquarium and fish not eating

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by cooltool, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cooltoolNew MemberMember

Hi everyone. My name is Robert. Just got my aquarium about a month ago. Bought it off a friend so the water is cycled and good. Bought a pair of hill stream loach. Tried giving them all kinds of food and they won't eat. Just found out there just big on live algie. I been trying to grow some but no luck yet. They been about a week without eating. Wondering if anyone has rocks with algie they can sell me or let me borrow just for the time being till I grow some. Or not sure if I go to a river and get some rock with algie from there would that be ok to use in tank? I live in Los Angeles California area. Thank you all

2. Orion5

Orion5Well Known MemberMember

More people will chime in here who have more experience, but loaches are bottom feeders so they will eat whatever falls to the bottom. Apparently they are "shy" so it's possible you might not SEE them eating.

If there is no algae and you want to be sure they're eating, you can feed them vegetables. I've heard that you should boil them for 10 seconds before feeding (slices of zucchini for example), and you can pierce a spoon through the center of the piece so they sink to the bottom. The loaches will not come and eat it if it floats to the top.

Sooo much easier than ordering algae covered rocks online. :) It's true they like algae, but many fish do; and even if your tank did have algae there might not be enough to feed them. You'll have to continue to do so. :)

Also hillstream loaches like a brisk current, so lots of water movement will make them happy.

Good luck!

3. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!

Some fish take a while to settle in. Going a week or two with out eating isn't going to kill a mature fish. As long as their tummies are staying round, I wouldn't worry too much.

Something you could try is getting some aquarium water In a jar, putting a Smooth rock in the bottom of it, covering it with plastic wrap, and setting in a window that gets lots of sun light.

Also, to be able to buy, sell, or trade on this forum, you need to have more than 50 posts ;)

4. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Nice to meet you, Robert and welcome!!

I've also heard of putting a clip in holding some romaine lettuce (not regular iceberg lettuce, it has no nutritional value). I've seen the clips at my lfs, so you might find one there, it has a suction cup on it so you can place it under water on the glass. Or you can also try algae tablets from your local fish store. And as Orion said, they may be eating at night when the lights are out, so you can't really see them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice