Help New Tank Syndrome!!! Best way to kill ammonia, nitrate and nitrites that ar

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by RyanGrimes15, Jul 26, 2015.

1. R

RyanGrimes15 New Member Member

Hello FishLore Forum, I recently upgraded my tank size from a 25 gal to a 65 gal. I made the move today and moved my fish.

I have in my tank currently:
    1 female veiltail betta
    1 red wag platty
    1 black phantom tetra
    1 red serpae tetra
    1 long white skirt tetra
    3 cory cats
    1 bristlenose pleco

And I have a Gold Nugget pleco on the way. So my issue is what ways have you guys had the most luck cycling your tanks through the nitrogen cycle and the best way to have a safe tank with very good to ideal ratings according to the API Test Master kit?

I used Fluval Cycle as my bacteria and I even transferred my 25 gallons of mature tank water to it. So honestly half of the water has really good bacteria in it.

So what other alternatives can I use to get the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down?

I also have a moving bed filter I created for my tank and my tank is all natural with Amazon swords, driftwood and sand mixed with gravel as substrate!

Thanks Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There are other members who can provide awesome advice on cycling your tank, but I'd like to mention a few things.

You should read up on the nitrogen cycle (click the words - they're a link!). It would be better to cycle your tank before you add the fish. Cycling with the fish in can be stressful to your fish, and you might lose a few. Many members recommend Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability.

Bettas don't usually do well in community tanks. It might be a good idea to keep her in the 25 gal separate from the other fish.

All of the tetras and the cory cats need to be in groups of 6 or more. They're schooling fish. You should plan to add at least 5 more of each species.

Beneficial bacteria needed to break down ammonia and nitrites don't live in the water. They live on the substrate and in the filter on the media. Adding old water to the new tank doesn't help the bacteria.

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Was the 25g cycled? If so, you can just move the filter from there over to the new tank and it should keep it's cycle. If the old filter wasn't cycled yet you should pick up a bottle of seachem stability or tetra safe start to help your cycle along. I prefer stability personally because you can still do water changes if your fish are showing signs of distress.

Welcome to fishlore btw!! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    R

RyanGrimes15 New Member Member

I upgraded to the 65 for a reason to provide extra room for other fish species. The Corey Cats will be moved into a school of 6 after the tank is cycled. The old 25 was cycled and I used a marineland filter so I had to upgrade that filter to a penguin 350 so I moved the biowheel from the old 25 to the 65. I do know about the nitrogen cycle. I am looking for other experience what people have done to have a successful tank. My female betta does very well in a community. She was raised by my original betta (my first fish I had in a school project for my senior science course) but apparently females do well together. Just don't mix species like a female crowntail with a female veiltail. I personally keep veiltail with veiltail. :)

How long did it take your tank to cycle with tetra safe start?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  5. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I've never fully cycled a tank with safe start, I had to bail on it because my fish and snails were having problems. Tss takes 2 weeks usually, and stability takes a week. I've had good luck with stability myself.
    Also, not much of your bacteria lives in the water column so using old water probably did very little, the vast majority of it is in your filter.
    Typically the best way to get ammonia/nitrites/nitrates down is by doing water changes.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

# 1 daily water change to bring ammonia/ nitrite down to .25 or less
    # 2 add seachem prime to entire tank water volume to detox the ammonia/nitrite.dose as per directions.
    # 3 add seachem stability daily after water changes, double the dose.
    good luck and congrats on the larger tank.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Send us pics once everything is up and running! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice