Help! New Sea Anemone Doesn't Look Right. With Pictures!

shawnriv

Yesterday I picked up a bubble tip sea anemone (the pet store called it a maroon anemone) and I brought it home. I had my water tested at the store and everything looked good, but the clerk recommended a 20% water change. After the water change I put the anemone in and he hasn't really moved. When I first put him in the tank he was all the way closed, but he still hasn't fully opened. I know it's only been one day, but my two clowns haven't seemed to acknowledge him either. I did notice a very little bit of slime coming from him too? I have attached a couple pictures. Thank you in advanced!

image.jpg

Jake98

Just and fyI anemones are not soft corals rather they are invertebrates and there is a sub section in the saltwater section for inverts. Regardless it takes time for them to adjust to new tank conditions It is very important to acclimate them properly. How did you acclimate it before you added it? Nems are sensitive and generally need to be in a well established tank, however if your parameters are fine you shouldn't have any issues. Any other info on the tank would be helpful ie. size, stocking level, salinity, temp ect.

mangups

How old is the tank? Also can u list the parameters in detail. This will help better understand the situation.

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore
Anemones can be tricky, but once settled, are quite resilient, especially the BTA.

Looking at your photo, it doesn't look like you have much light? (looks like my 'nem when it sleeps)

Secondly, the tank looks quite new?

Anemones need a very stable environment, and most aquarists will wait until the tank is fully stable and cycled before adding (about 8 months).

If you can give us a run-down of the following, it'll help determine what's going on, and what (if any) action needs to take place:

Salinity/Specific Gravity? [target 1.024-1.026]
pH [target 8.0 to 8.4]
Ammonia [0]
Nitrite [0]
Nitrate [<2ppm]
Phosphate [<1ppm]
Calcium [~440ppm]
Magnesium [~1280ppm]

Too, the following info:
Powerheads being used?
Skimmer?
Lighting system?

If you could take the time to complete your profile, it helps give an overview at a glance, saving us from having to ask....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Slapp
Replies
Views
Wild Bill
Replies
Views
nemo addict
Replies
Views