Help! New Red Racer Nerite With Cracked Shell. Important 

  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
I ordered 2 red racer nerites from aquatic arts. They got here today and I was surprised to find they sent me 3. Only thing is, one of them has a crack in his shell that’s a tiny bit separated and I can see his lil snail body inside. He’s the most active of them all ironically, will it heal on its own? I’m going to get some cuttlebone for them but is there anything else I can/should do?

They’re also super tiny so I’m scared he’ll grow and it’ll separate more.

I would take a pic but don’t want to stress him by taking him off the tank glass so I’ll just post a pic of all of them when they were acclimating.
 

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Oof, that's a bad one. Unfortunately, snails cannot fix parts of their shells already grown. If it gets real bad, you'll probably have to make a patch (super glue + a little bit of a plastic bag, but don't get any on the body). There are some good videos on YouTube about that
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Oof, that's a bad one. Unfortunately, snails cannot fix parts of their shells already grown. If it gets real bad, you'll probably have to make a patch (super glue + a little bit of a plastic bag, but don't get any on the body). There are some good videos on YouTube about that
Darn not what I wanted to hear, but thanks! Poor little baby.

For now should I just watch it to see if it gets better or worse?
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
Watch it for now, it's possible that new growth can secure it, but if it falls off, you'll have to patch it.
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Rtessy said:
Watch it for now, it's possible that new growth can secure it, but if it falls off, you'll have to patch it.
Alright will do thank you! I managed to get some pictures of it this morning. The grey line is his skin underneath the crack but it only goes partially up his shell so at least that’s a good thing.
 

Attachments

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,271
Reaction score
4,834
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t think that’s the snail I think it’s just the shell. One of mine has that line too. Had it over a year and it’s fine. Nerite snails only get to about 5/8” size. There not big snails. Those look to be about 1/2 inch so almost full grown.
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
86 ssinit said:
I don’t think that’s the snail I think it’s just the shell. One of mine has that line too. Had it over a year and it’s fine. Nerite snails only get to about 5/8” size. There not big snails. Those look to be about 1/2 inch so almost full grown.
I hope you’re right! When I touched it before I put him in the tank it seemed to be squishy though. I’ll have to inspect him closer to be sure.

Also for some reason I thought they’d get to be an inch. They’re about the size of 3/4 of the tip of my pinky now. How adorable that they stay this size— I love it.
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,271
Reaction score
4,834
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes the ones that get to an inch or more are mystery snails. Nerites are the better choice. I will try to get a pic of mine for you.
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
86 ssinit said:
Yes the ones that get to an inch or more are mystery snails. Nerites are the better choice. I will try to get a pic of mine for you.
Oh okay awesome! And I’d love pics— these snails are the cutest!
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Just examined him and I think you’re right! It appears to just be shell damage but not a crack.

So happy the little guy will be alright.
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,271
Reaction score
4,834
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
372792D1-F60D-4BAF-8584-CF1A368A7DAF.jpeg
C7AD7637-C2C3-4AEE-80AE-4D63963C7DC4.jpeg
1D4D8845-A0A8-42AF-A8BC-5BACC00E4DA2.jpeg
Last pic has the funny looking shell.
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
Wow they are gorgeous! And I do see what you mean about the shell! Another one of mine has a bit of that too!
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,271
Reaction score
4,834
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
The white is probably a lack of calcium. I do add cuttlebone but some still get that white on them.
 
  • Thread starter

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Messages
186
Reaction score
96
Points
38
Experience
1 year
86 ssinit said:
The white is probably a lack of calcium. I do add cuttlebone but some still get that white on them.
I added a bit of cuttlebone yesterday so hopefully that helps them! Is it possible it can get better or am I just keeping it from getting worse?
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom