Help, New Bolivian Ram Sitting On Bottom

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by cassian8284, Apr 15, 2018.

1. cassian8284

cassian8284New MemberMember

I brought home a pair of Bolivian rams an hour ago and the male is sat on the bottom of my tank. All the levels are as normal and temperature is at 23 degrees. The female is fine but the male doesn't seem to be. See picture below 1523797742815.jpg

2. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

it could be that it still adjusting to it's new home or stress specially if you only got him about an hour ago, some fish will take it's time to adapt, but defintely keep an eye on him and as long as your water parameters are in good.

I can also suggest keeping the lights of the whole day to reduce stress on the fish.

3. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

That is not a happy looking fish, how did you acclimatise it before freeing it into the tank? It looks like it's in shock from something.

4. OP
    OP
    cassian8284

Drip acclamation

5. GeorgeDaGreat

GeorgeDaGreatValued MemberMember

is that while floating the bag in the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    cassian8284

Yes

7. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Well as @Ryan P says it could just be stress from the move from shop to your tank, I'd also advise to turn the lights off & keep an eye on him, hope he settles in OK.

8. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

When I got my pair of GBR I was scared since I know rams are sensitive fish.
    Mine was just staying on the corner too specially the male so turn the lights off the whole day, and next day they were fine.

Maybe check your PH as well

9. GeorgeDaGreat

GeorgeDaGreatValued MemberMember

yeah, I wasn't sure about getting GBRs due to what I heard. Got a pair a few days ago and they settled in brilliantly. maybe I just got lucky.

10. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

@cassian8284
    This is normal acclimation behavior to their new home. When I initially added my pair to the tank, they were very shy and would venture out and explore but scurry to the back of the tank if I approached. It took awhile for them to become comfortable. Now they come up to greet me and of course begging for their pellets. Here is a pic:
    Bolivian Pair.jpg

Oh, by the way "Welcome to Fishlore"

11. OP
    OP
    cassian8284

Thank you for the reassurance, I have actually been on here since 2016 it's just that I don't post alot lol

Thank you.
    Both Bolivians are now swimming around - I think they were being divas. Pictured is what I hope is the female. Any one who is good at telling gender plz tell me lol 1523802692011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2018
  12. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Threads have been merged so it’s easier for members following to have all the information in one place.
    Glad everything seems to be ok now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice