Help! - New Assassin Snail Dead?

1. Jess44246 Initiate Member

IMG_6236.JPG Today, I purchased my first Assassin Snail. I didn't really see the guy at the fish place but the snail in the plastic thing before putting it in the bag. I got home, let the bags float for 15 min, then took the critters out of the bags and put them in the tank, one of which was the assassin snail and the others were regular fish. My tank, 29 gallons, is 100% cycled and the water is perfect. The snail has not come out of the shell at all. The shell is not empty and it is not filled with substrate. I pulled him out of the water 2 hours later (now) and took this pic. I tried to tempt it out with a food snail, but no luck. I have no experience with aquatic snails besides the ones my pretty little assassin is supposed to eat. This may be me worrying over nothing or this may be me waiting and waiting and waiting for a dead snail to come out of it's shell. But if it was dead, wouldn't it have fallen out of the shell already? Please reply soon. I want to start killing off my little pest snails as soon as possible. Thanks! IMG_6236.JPG

2. BuddyD Member Member

Some snails, Nerites especially, will stay motionless for days at a time. Being moved to a new location may be why your snail is not in motion.

3. PraptiPanda Member Member

Looks like his trapdoor is shut- pretty receded, in fact. Assassin's, in my experience, are initially shy. He may need time to adjust to your water parameters. Meanwhile, do the smell test on him to see whether he's alive. Have you tried switching your light off for some time? My assassins only become active when it's dark out.

4. Jess44246 Initiate Member

Okay, thank you very much! He doesn't smell at all, which is a good sign. There are four catfish in there and two of them are active in the daytime. Hopefully he comes out to feed or at least explore now that the lights are out (the timer puts them out at 10pm and it's 10:30 pm). Hopefully he'll adjust soon. There are plenty of places to explore and I've got about 200 little snails in a tub to feed him, and some bloodworms. I hear he'll eat about once a day.

5. Jess44246 Initiate Member

IMG_6250.PNG It's around 2:30am and the tank light (along with the room) have been in the dark. I took my flashlight to look in the spot where the assassin snail was, and he had moved about 1in from the spot with his body and that tube thing sticking out of his shell. I watched him move about another 2-3 inches towards a little food snail and left him to eat in peace. Thank you very much! I'm so glad he's okay... but what a shy little guy! I turned the room light on for 2 minutes to give celery leaves to my Grove Snail (a land snail in a terrarium), and he tucked his tube thing back into his shell! Here's a pic of him seeking out a meal. Thank you very much!

Attached Files: