Help New 40 Gal Tank From 10 Gal 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by 619DevSD, Apr 11, 2018.

1. 619DevSD

619DevSDNew MemberMember

My molli had babies about a month ago so I was forced to upgrade (which I was planning on anyways, was getting a little crowded in there) but my question is: I have two 10 gallon filters that are running in the 10 gallon tank- can I use those for the 40 gal long tank coming in the morning? Kind of short on cash for a second. Someone pls help!! Don't want the babies to die!!

2. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79Valued MemberMember

Don’t take my word for it, but they should be fine. Also, try to get some plants. If you have some, get more. Get fast growers like hornwort to help with filteration. If I were you I’d try and upgrade when you can, though.

3. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

619DevSDNew MemberMember

New 40 gallon comes in the morning and the 12 babies have already started growing kind of quickly in fact. Only 2 fake plants in the tank though, I'm still new to the fish game. Do you mean the live plants?? Don't know much about all of that yet.

4. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Yes, depending on their size those 2 filters should work well on your new tank. Are you planning on breaking down the 10 gallon. If so you may want to move most everything from the 10 gallon over to the new tank including the water. There is no bacteria in the water but it is the water your fish are used to. By using it it will just be like doing a big water change.

Neither your fish nor your bacteria will know that they have been moved. Every thing in your 10 gallon has bacteria growing on it but the majority of it in in/on your filter media. You want to keep all of it thus moving every thing over to the new tank.

You may want to rescape the new tank and not use the deco in the 10 but move it over there temporarily.

You may experience a mini cycle but keep a close eye on your perimeters and you should be fine.

5. Gdpierce79

Gdpierce79Valued MemberMember

Perfect! So, I currently have a tank overrun by algae. It does happen to have tons of easy plants, though. Here are pics: image-jpg.jpgimage-jpg.jpgimage-jpg.jpg427C302C-63E1-4B45-ABAB-91982F813457.jpeg
    There are really easy plants out there. Good ones are Anubis hornwort, swords, and Krypts. Ask someone else for more info on them. They eat ammonia, ni, and na. They are great!!!

6. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

619DevSDNew MemberMember

I'm SO GLAD I came across you two!!! Excellent help and info!!

Ok so I'm going to transfer both filters to the 40 gal and until I can get the live plants I'll keep the two that are on the 10 gallon. I have new rocks and two castles coming, should I wait for the mini cycle to finish before putting them in or is it ok to put them in during the tank transfer?

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

You can put the new deco in but go ahead and transfer over what ever deco you have in your 10 gallon too. It will have some bacteria on it so will help to keep your cycle stabilized.

Just be sure to clean them well and it wouldn't hurt to rinse them in some treated water before putting them in the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

619DevSDNew MemberMember

Ok, and thank you again for the help I feel alot better about the tank transfer now.

9. Michael.j.gomez

Michael.j.gomezValued MemberMember

Hello, is it possible to fill the 40gal. 1/2 way and still run filters? I know some filters will drop lower into tank for pets like turtles. Hope this helps!

10. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

619DevSDNew MemberMember

I have just received a 40 gal. Long tank and moving my Mollie fry and 2 guppies and algae eater in to it tomorrow. I had no heater in the 10 gal. they're moving from though. So do I need a heater and if so what watt should I get? Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question don't want my babies to die!!

11. jaymethyValued MemberMember

All those species would do better with a heater. You're best of moving them into the unheated tank, and letting them get used to that for a bit. Then gradually up the heat. You'll need a heater with multiple settings, and I would up it a degree every few days until you reach the desired temperature.

I can't be much help on the wattage though, I'm not so big on the technical stuff.

12. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

619DevSDNew MemberMember

Ok, that's the plan then. Never used heaters before so I was completely unsure if they even needed one or not, 1st time with the Mollie fry also. Thank you so much for the help Jaymethy!!

13. BKabinaValued MemberMember

Yes. As suggested, get a heater. 150 watt would work.

14. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I use a 250w in my 30, so a 150w will work fine in a 40.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice