Help! Neon With Strange Patch On Mouth

1. TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi! We just got back from a week of vacation and I came home to find one of my neons with a strange white patch on its upper mouth. He's still shoaling with the others and he's eating fine. He's in my 54 gallon. Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is about 5. I'm about to do a water change, but I also wanted to get any ideas on what might be going on. I had someone come over and feed them three days while we were gone and I premeasured all the food into labeled containers.
    fc9a1745c3ca689d444f6d61419f9aaa.jpg fc9a1745c3ca689d444f6d61419f9aaa.jpg cb303c64f76a140af31b84e3918188f4.jpg 96e5148ed145d71c72da042744cffb02.jpg

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +407
    It looks like mouth fungus. You if it is you must treat immediately if left untreated he will not be able to eat and will almost definitely die.

3. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    So I need to treat it with a fungal medication or is there something else?

4. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +407
    Yes, find something that says it will all fungus not just mouth fungus. I recommend something by API

5. bopsalot

bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +571
    I dunno? Could be... Hold on and let some other folks look at this before we assume it's mouth fungus though

6. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thank you!

7. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Naturally I've been scouring the internet and looking for answers. Some have me pretty nervous, such as possible columnaris.

8. bopsalot

Ratings:
    +571
    Yeah, columnaris was what I was wondering, but I don't want to panic you. More experienced members than I will be along eventually to help...

9. bopsalot

Ratings:
    +571
    I'm surprised no one else has commented yet. So this'll bump it back up. But just wanted to advise you to keep a close eye on that fish and the others, it looks suspiciously like some kind of infection to me. If no one ever answers, or it gets worse, try getting a better photo, and post a new thread tomorrow titled "help! Is this columnaris?"or something. Chances are it's not, though. No need for panic at this point. I hope your neon feels better soon!

10. Discusluv

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +2,844
    Do you have a quarantine tank? Its pretty clear that your neon has contracted a bacterial infection and fungus has taken over the tissue. It is most likely the columnaris or aeronomas bacteria and fortunately its not necessary to know which one because the treatment is the same. You will want to treat with products containing nitrofurazone ( Jungle Fungus tabs or API Furan 2) and kanamycin sulfate ( Seacheam Kanaplex).

11. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thank you! So I just need to follow the instructions on the medications? I do have a quarrentine tank. I just want to make sure I don't need to treat the whole tank. Is that right?

12. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for your help!

13. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Fortunately, the little guy is still doing well this morning...aside from the white mouth. I'll be moving him over to quarantine as soon as I can catch him. Unfortunately, I'm watching another neon that might have the beginnings of something on his mouth. It's such a small speck you can't always see it.

14. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,844
    Actually, yes, it would be best to treat in the tank he is in. While these meds are not known to effect your bio-filter, if your system is new (under 3 months) I would periodically do water tests while treating to make sure there is no rising ammonia or nitrites.
    Take any carbon out of filter before treating with meds. Make sure to change at least 25-50% of water in tank between doses as it will help lower organics in water so the medications are more effective.
    Yes, follow the instructions on back of the medications that you use.

15. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I have been scared to medicate the tank because I have Amano shrimp and Nerite snails. Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the Furan 2 kill them? However, I've tried to catch the ones showing infection and my tank is so heavily planted, I have been unsuccessful with this. So now I'm back to thinking I'll have to treat the whole tank. I've started up my quarantine and I'll try to move the nerites and Amanos to that tank...as many as I can catch. The meds will be coming in the mail tomorrow. Does anyone know if these meds are harmful to plants?

16. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +4,983
    You're number thousamd to encounter this.
    There is "something" in neons that doesn't seem to be treatable / curable.
    Therefor I expect this to be a viral.issue like.lymphocystis. It seems to be species-specific, not directly lethal but incurable.

17. Discusluv

Ratings:
    +2,844
    Are you then recommending that the OP not treat for columnaris? That it is instead viral? It looks like the typical mouth fungus that would be indicative of the columnaris flexibactar bacterium? I could most certainly be wrong, however.

18. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +4,983
    I'd treat then and let's see what happens.
    There is also a very nasty strain of columnaris in neons btw. This isn't on my opinion, but I can be wrong offcourse.
    Excessive breeding brought us a lot of nasty stuff. NOT !

19. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +918
    It does look to me like mouth "fungus" caused by the Columnaris bacterium.

To me the "virus" on the mouth problem looks somewhat different.

I have bought Neons with both these ailments in the last year.

I have found that although Neons can have these diseases on purchase and can die of them at first they eventually rid themselves of the infections given good living conditions.

I would ask how the fish could have contracted this disease.

20. OP
    OP
    TAshlie

TAshlie Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I'm not really sure how they could have gotten the bacteria. They have been in my main tank for 2-3 quarantine about two weeks. The tank is has been planted and cycled since April and water parameters have been 0, 0, 5-10 since then. I do weekly 25% water changes. I'm going to post more pictures.