Help: Neon Tetras for Breeding

mm416

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi, I really need someone's help with this issue as soon as possible.

I'm doing a high school biology experiment that I have set up to require breeding fish.

It is meant to include four breeding pairs of neon tetras, however I'm having difficulties finding neon tetras from a pet store that are large enough to be being age.

Does anyone know of an online store where I can buy neon tetras?

If not, then is there another fish I could more easily find of being age that spawns from similar conditions?

Please let me know, I was meant to begin this experiment weeks ago bit could not find the fish.

Thanks!!!

NinjaTetra

Well Known
Reaction score
Neon tetras are going to require a rather complex setup to breed. What size fishtanks do you have? I recommend guppys, guppys breed super easily, although the females already often have bred and have sperm from previous breeding, so a "breeding pair" may not be an accurate evaluation. If you wanted to do a proper controlled experiment, you may have wanted to have raised the guppys from fry and raided the genders separately. I think that tetras will require 4 different 20 gallon tanks that you properly plant, have a low acidity, and go through a series of other steps to create a realistic environment. Details on your experiment?

~ <-----that's one of those cool squiggly lines you do before a signature.

OP
M

mm416

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I do have experience breeding guppies, but that's not the point of this experiment. It is set up as a four by five experiment in which each pair has a different stimulus, all relating to the rainfall in the amazon. For example, one is a rapid water change which is said to induce spawning. The goal is not to breed as many fish as possible. The goal is to pick a hard to breed fish and see which method works best. I have chosen neon tetras and worked it out with my supervisor, I just need to know where to buy the fish mostly.

OP
M

mm416

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay I'm scrapping the neon tetra idea, but now I need another fish that has a short recuperation time and is somewhat difficult to induce to spawn. Any ideas?

New Threads