Help, Neon Tetra With Red Gills

1. Z

Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

2. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    Have you also tested for Nitrite and Nitrate readings? Both these can be harmful to fish if high.. And any amount of Ammonia can be harmful, no matter how small.. I would get you some API Quick Start into that tank or Stability for some good stable bacteria. The Prime is great and water changes too. What temp is the water at? Is the filter brand new? What type of filter.. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Z

Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is between 5-10. Temp is at 74F and there is no filter, I've just been doing water changes everyday and I was planning on moving the fish to my cycled aquarium tomorrow, I just wanted to make sure the red gills are not a sign of disease...

4. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Well it could be a sign of disease, gill flukes.. But I cant say for sure. I wouldn't place this fish into your main tank, I would buy a small filter, they are cheap, even a sponge filter would do. This neon is a tropical fish and needs heated water (74F is good) and filtered water too. Yes water changes are good but filters move the water for circulation and air and also filter the bacteria as you would know..
    It could be sick due to no filtration or air in the water to breath. Please consider buying a cheap filter asap for this fish in the qt tank. It might be all it takes to fix the issue.. If after a few days with a filter it has not improved then perhaps it needs to be treated in a light salt bath a few times.. If I am wrong in my suggestions, someone here will correct me hopefully :)

5. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

It could be a deformity or an ailment.

What was the verdict on the one pictured?

That one looks like Columnaris which would also result in quicker breathing compared to unaffected fish. The fish is rather skinny too so maybe hasn't eaten either through loss of appetite or time spent without food during the retail environment.

It could also possibly be a deformity. I have had some poor quality neons which exhibited various deformities.

Any other symptoms ?

6. OP
    OP
    Z

His breathing looks similar to the other unaffected fish, he is also the same size, even a little bigger than the other fish, and when I feed all of the fish eat. So could it just be a deformity? I've heard that coulmarnis is highly contagious, but he has been with the other fish for 3 weeks and the others seem normal (I had one of the neons die last week of unknown causes, he didn't have the red gills and was perfectly normal just to let you know incase that helps...)

I will be transferring them to the main tank tomorrow, maybe that will help? And I have some PraziPro, should I give the fish a bath?

7. OP
    OP
    Z

There has been an airstone in the tank, so there should be air in the tank, but when I bought the fish it had the red gills and it has been in an aerated qt for 3 weeks now and that didn't help...

8. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

There is a deformity which exists in neons where the gill operculum does not cover the gills so it could be that.

What was the verdict on the fish pictured?