Help - Neon Tetra Acting Strange After Water Change

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by PuffPuff, Aug 4, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

Just did a 25% water change and I added the tap safe conditioner and aquarium salt. Now one of my neon stripped tetras swam to the top of the heater and looks to be vibrating or shaking violently.

I threw some QuickStart n now it is swimming around.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  2. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Probably the salt. Neons haven't seen salt since South America split from Africa, before they were Neons. Freshwater fish do not like salt.

:)

How much salt did you add ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

That seems more like a shock reaction to me, usually temp or pH shock would cause it.

Though you don't need aquarium salt for your regular maintenance... so you might as well stop adding it.

4. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

i never use aquarium salt, but 1 of my guppies looked stressed so I added some aquarium salt to my water change. it help out the guppy but the literally instantly it made my neon striped tetra act out, its still alive this morning when I woke up but it seems to still be around the heater.

5. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

Agree with discontinuing salt.
    i also had an. Issue today with a water conditioner not removing chlorine. Im not if thsi would cause that problem, but i would check that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice