Help needed !

1. s7708t Initiate Member

bought a couple of pelco for my 60 gal tank, which currently have only 2 bala shark. One pelco was black.
    however over the past mth starting from the tail, it began to turn white all over the body, and died recently.
    Is this disease ? if so what disease is it and what treatment I need for my tank. As my othet fishes have no such problem ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! Can you tell us a little more about the tank like how long have you had it set up, is it cycled, and what are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? It's great to have you with us! ;)

3. s7708t Initiate Member

My tank has just been up for about 2 mth. Currently have 2 pelco, 2 bala shark, and a discus.
    However 1 pelco and 1 bala have died. On closer observation of my bala both of which are infected, it seems to be
    irk. I have since apply medication to the tank.

I do weekly vacuuming and partial water changes. Last check of ammonia level was zero and pH was at normal level. I did not do any other test. Actually I set this tank up not for discus but just waiting to get an arrowana. The discus is there as my 20 gal is too small for it, which have 2 other discus.

Anyway, curious they my bala did not die of the disease, instead it went crazy and "zoom" around the tank and commit suicide my hitting the tank wall. Did I put too much medication ??? I was following the direction given ????

4. Jason Well Known Member Member

You should probably get if you don't have already a nitrite and nitrate test kits. What kind of ich medication did you use. You could also slowly raise the temperate in the tank a few degrees if the fish can handle it and improve the aeration.

5. s7708t Initiate Member

I realized it was ich after one of the bala shark shows white spots over the body.

I have apply stronger medication and its returning back to health. Can't wait to get my Arrowana.

Any arrowana fan here ?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

7. s7708t Initiate Member

Actually for arrowana it is not the amount of gallon that decided whether the tank is big enough.
    Its the area of the tank. My tank measure at length of 4 ft, width of 1.5 ft and height of 1.5 ft.
    It should be enough for a year or two.

Last night my other pelco just pass away. I have check out everything and nothing seems to be wrong with the water.
    I did a study any could it be the food, as my tank has little to no algae ???

Is there any more hardy algae eater that might be compatible with an arrowara ??

I need to get some fishes soon as my tank is rather bare now.

8. s7708t Initiate Member

Hey butterfly,

Thanks for that information about arrowana.

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Your exactly right it does matter how big the tank is, but it still matters how much water the Arowana is being kept in. The bigger the fish the bigger waste producer they are.
    In a year that arowana isn't going to be able to turn around in that size tank, that is not being a responsible fish keeper. I know you want to take good care of your fish so please do more research before you buy that gorgeous Arowana.
    And your welcome for the link ;)
    Carol