Help Needed With Extremely Overstocked Aquarium

YummySashimi
HI guys,

I've been on firelore for a while and this is my first time posting.

My friend, who is a complete beginner at fishkeeping just decided to get 8 kois and put them into a large ceramic goldfish bowl, which under my estimation, hold at most 20gals of water with no filtration. Naturally, I told her koi are pond fish and should not be kept under such conditions and that she's severely overstocked and suggested she should return them and get a couple of goldfish and a filter instead. She wouldn't listen, then I suggest she should at least get a canister filter for those poor fish, which she also refused. I don't think she would do the daily water change I recommended either...

I don't want those fish to die but there's little I can do. Maybe I can talk her into getting an internal filter for then but I think that's about it. Is there something else that I can do? Please help.

Attached are the pics she sent me, just to give u an idea how horrible the situation is.

Attachments

• 0406_1.jpg
    0406_1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 0406_2.jpg
    0406_2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 170
Demeter
Some people are too stuborn to listen. Your friend will probably have to learn the hard way at the price of the fishs’ lives.

You could show him/her pics of adult koi and asking if they can imagine 8 adult koi in that bowl. Give it to them straight, those fish will die soon.

If you are not too concerned about your friend getting mad, I’d frame a wild raccoon or cat for eating the koi (happens often in my area) and take the fish to a koi-friendly pond.

YummySashimi
Thanks for replying Demeter. They'll die within a week is what I told her, but still, she had no intentions of returning them. I would literally do what u suggested if she keeps the fish outside but they're indoors. I mean they have a better chance of surviving in the river than in that bowl.
Some people are too stuborn to listen. Your friend will probably have to learn the hard way at the price of the fishs’ lives.

You could show him/her pics of adult koi and asking if they can imagine 8 adult koi in that bowl. Give it to them straight, those fish will die soon.

If you are not too concerned about your friend getting mad, I’d frame a wild raccoon or cat for eating the koi (happens often in my area) and take the fish to a koi-friendly pond.

Fashooga
Its a her problem, not a you problem.

You already told her your opinion and she already balked at it. Just walk away from it and leave it alone.

tetratetris
I'd have to agree with you guys.

I'd first try showing them the photos of adult Koi as demeter suggested.

Although as fashooga said its not your problem.

They (But not the poor fish) might deserve to find out the consequences the hard way.

Just my thoughts

Albifrons
Everything I'm going to say has already been said, but I feel the need to comment on this anyway. This friend of yours makes me think of one of my friends, who thinks it's a good idea to house a juvenile ryukin goldfish in a three gallon tank. Thankfully it has a filter, but that's not much consolation. Like you I tried to tell him the facts, that it was going to die if he didn't give it a larger tank. He refuses to listen to me, and the only way I see him learning anything is if the fish dies. I'm sorry you have to deal with ignorance like this, the only thing I can say is that hopefully once your friend reaps the consequences of her decision, she will not make the same mistake again.

YummySashimi
Its a her problem, not a you problem.

You already told her your opinion and she already balked at it. Just walk away from it and leave it alone.

I'd rather give the fish a fighting chance if I could. That's all I wanted

YummySashimi
I'd have to agree with you guys.

I'd first try showing them the photos of adult Koi as demeter suggested.

Although as fashooga said its not your problem.

They (But not the poor fish) might deserve to find out the consequences the hard way.

Just my thoughts

I agree with u tetratetris, I just hope not all of the fish will die

YummySashimi
Everything I'm going to say has already been said, but I feel the need to comment on this anyway. This friend of yours makes me think of one of my friends, who thinks it's a good idea to house a juvenile ryukin goldfish in a three gallon tank. Thankfully it has a filter, but that's not much consolation. Like you I tried to tell him the facts, that it was going to die if he didn't give it a larger tank. He refuses to listen to me, and the only way I see him learning anything is if the fish dies. I'm sorry you have to deal with ignorance like this, the only thing I can say is that hopefully once your friend reaps the consequences of her decision, she will not make the same mistake again.

I'm forcing her to go filter shopping with me today. Hopefully, it would help them survive longer.How long did your friend's fish last may I ask?

YummySashimi
Just to give u guys an update: I got to see her fish in person today, 3 of them already developed lesions, two on their tails and one on the gill She got an internal filter for the bowl and filled the water level up. Seeing she has no QT, I gave her my seachem and told her to cut back on feeding. Also, four of those fish are actually goldfish instead of koi, which is a good news I guess? Also two of the fish jumped after I left, and one survived.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• YummySashimi
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Jenoli42
  • BamBamSorg
  • Koi
Replies
Views
Manjit
  • Chanteuse