Help Needed! VERY New freshwater aquarist in need of help

1. Jasperdog Initiate Member

Does Fluval bio enhancer help with the nitrogen cycle? I've been following the instructions 10ml per 10 gallons ( i have a 5 gallon) so what does it do? and does it help the cycle? It also says u can add fish immediately ( i didn't trust it -.- ) so I've been waiting a while and when is it safe to add fish? my Ammonia is at 0 - .25 my nitrite is at 0 - .5 and nitrate is at 20-40

Want me to post pic of the test?

Oh and sorry for adding lots of questions i just started the hobby a month ago, the 5 gallon has been cycling for a week

Y no one respond there is like over 9000 views

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Counting my view, there have been 51 views of this page. It has been less than an hour since you initially posted. Sometimes it can take a day or more to get a response, as not everybody who looks at a thread has an answer to the question. There is no need to bump a thread so early after posting it. People will see it.

I'm afraid I don't know much about Fluval Bio Enhancer. Some of the bacterial products on the market are actually harmful to an aquarium's natural cycle, while a few of them help set it up right away. If it's the former, you want to stop using it and actually cycle your aquarium. If it's the latter, it probably is safe to add fish. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell the difference, because companies seem loathe to actually tell consumers that they are selling junk products. ;)

3. Jasperdog Initiate Member

Thank you so much those words, have a big meaning to me.

And its safe to add fish?

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

I used that Fluval product when I was first trying to cycle my 36 gallon and had no luck with the product. I had already added fish too but fortunately they all ended up being okay.

Did you use a water conditioner such as Prime to detoxify the ammonia? Also, have you heard of a product called Tetra SafeStart? Many members have used it on this forum with great success. Depending on where you live, you can purchase it in store or on websites like Amazon.

Here is a thread that discusses SafeStart and how to use it properly - https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Jasperdog Initiate Member

:( Well i used a water conditioner and used old filter sponge from other tank as well as used decor

i use the standard aqueon water conditioner

I'm still scared can i add fish today or no

been fish less cycling with old filter and decor and fluvial with water conditioner and water changes for a week is it safe to add fish? i sort of have to add fish today(long story )

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If your tests are still showing nitrites & ammonia then no don't add fish yet

7. Jasperdog Initiate Member

k what if the ammonia is like 0 .25 and nitrite is like 0.1 - 0.2?

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's up to you whether you add fish or not but if it was my tank I would wait as adding fish could cause the levels to rise if the cycle isn't complete

9. Jasperdog Initiate Member

eh ok the problem is i have to add them today :(

10. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Jasperdog, please don't make a whole bunch of posts in a row. Take some time, think about what you want to say, and then put it all in one post. If you forget to add something, you can use the "edit post" button to do so. It's hard to follow a conversation when the same person has four posts in a row.

11. Jasperdog Initiate Member

oh thx

12. Prep8611 Member Member

What are you fishless cycling with? What is your ammonia source? I dont think you understand the nitrogen cycle from what your writing.... And you keep saying can I add fish as in multiple fish. What are you planning to add to this 5 gallon tank?

Please respond in a single post or I will not respond again.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. Jasperdog Initiate Member

I am using flake food as my source, i am adding guppies and corys

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

5 gallons is too small for any corys, even the dwarf species need more space & I would not put corys in a newly or nearly cycled tank.
    A couple of guppies would stock the tank when it's fully cycled

15. Jasperdog Initiate Member

ok ty do you think i can add them by today? cause i sort of need to add them today ( long story) il tell u if u want

16. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

Try a big water change. I did & it brought my ammonia right down.

17. Prep8611 Member Member

Ya your gonna be overstocked and ur tank is gonna be a mess. I'd cut out the cories. This is what I would do cause IMO if your gonna cycle a tank fishless you use pure ammonia or you fish in cycle with tetra safe start. I would do a 75 percent water change and use water conditioner add the guppies using drip acclimation, wait till the am, add a whole bottle of tetra safe start, dont change the water for two weeks and dont over feed. Only top off with treated water for evaporation.

18. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I think you're going to whatever we say & I don't know what the rush is, surely waiting a few more days would be better

19. Prep8611 Member Member

Ya i agree and I was only giving my suggestion as a worst case scenario thing to do.

20. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Everyone is agreeing, that NO you can't add them today, yet it seems like you are still insisting on wanting to add them today. Ideally fish should be added to a fully cycled tank. Ammonia and Nitrite are toxic to fish and you have both in your tank. This will lead to long term problems and possible fish death.

As for your stocking, a 5 gallon is very limited. You may be able to add 1 or maybe 2 guppies at max. Another option would be 1 Betta. Those are about the only options viable for a 5 gallon, cory catfish will not do well in a 5 gallon, and will be stressed.

One of the most important things in this hobby is patience. Without it you will have stressed or possible dead fish, spend extra money on things you don't need, and generally not have a successful tank. If you insist on adding fish today, then at least get some Tetra Safe Start which will help cycle your tank a bit quicker and is designed to work with fish in the tank. I would invest in some Seachem Prime at some point as well, as it not only is a great water conditioner it can neutralize ammonia for 24 hours in an emergency. This can get you by a rough patch in your cycle process.