Help Needed Please

aj86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can anyone help me? I've finally decided to start my own tank but i need help with what fish to get :-[ and what fish go well with each other... i would really like something bright and the tank i'm getting well be a decent size.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi aj86, Welcome to Fishlore! This is a great site where you will be able to get all the advice you need to help you set up a healthy fish tank. There are some great articles on the site that explain about setting up a new tank and the nitrogen cycle, however I've no idea how to provide a link to them! But someone will be along soon who knows how!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Aj86 and Welcome to Fish Lore.

I think it would be a great help if you can narrow the field down a bit by stating an exact tank size. It would be very difficult to give correct information without it. Some fish may do well in a 75 gallon tank that won't do well in a 55g tank and so on.

Tell us what type of fish interests you. Are you interested in a community tank or a species only tank? Freshwater or Saltwater?

Tell us all that you can and we'll go from there.

I hope you enjoy the site. Lots of friendly people and tons of information.

Ken

Here is a link to the nitrogen cycle that is mentioned above by Nick:
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
It's crucial to fish keeping. If you have questions let us know. We're here to help.

Last edited:

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WELCOME, if we are to help you on this matter we are gonna require a little more info from you, A decent sized tank could vairy from a 40gal to a 100gal or more depending on your point of veiw lol any way heres what i suggest if you have a particular fish in mind then you will need to buy a tank that suites there requirements, If you have no particular fish in mind then you will need to deceied on a tank you like and we can help you with stocking and setup advice as soon as we know what tank you have purchased

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

UNTAMEDlore

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome to fishlore!!!
GREAT link that ken and nick suggested...getting the tank cycled first, is the most important step...heres another link that can help with that https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/four-methods-of-fish-less-cycling.48446/

the bigger the tank you get, the easier it is to keep water perimeters on target...

once the tank is cycled, we have many members that will help with stocking GREAT job doing research first
Yes agreed great job on the research its good to find someone who has taken the time to find out some info about fish keeping before jumping head first into it, Really pleased that u have put some thought into this as fish keeping can be tricky and at least ur prepared unlike alot of others who go ,out buy a tank, fill it uo with water wack in some fish and hey presto, Nothing but fishy funerals...... It really does pay off if you do your homework 1st.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to fish keeping and welcome to Fishlore!
I also commend you for wanting to do some research first. As mentioned, it is best to start off with a small list of fish you are interested in keeping and then getting an appropriate sized tank for them. OR you can get whatever sized tank you prefer and then make a list of fish which are appropriate to that sized tank. It is often wise to get the largest tank you can both fit and afford as I'm sure there are tons of fish you will come to love. As Shawnie mentioned, larger tanks are also easier to keep stable and balanced as well. In addition to the links that were already provided I will provide you with a few more links to help get you started.

https://www.fishlore.com/FirstTankSetup.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/sept07/fishkeepingbeginner.htm

aj86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank U~!

Thank you guys so much on helping me, i've just gotten home from spending an hour in the fish store ;D there are so many i'm interested in but alot i can't use aswell as they have an aggressive behaviour ...

so to help you help me i've decided on a few basic things; first my tank it'll be either 75L or 90L i'm leaning towards 90L so the fish have more space.

Second; it'll probably be a community Aquarium because i'd like to have lot's of different fish so i can tell them apart ;D.

AND THRID; My list did contain ones like Anglefish, Betta, Zebra Pleco, white skirt tetra, Cichlids, killifish, red tail shark, convict, electric yellow, cooperband butterfly, longfin banner etc but after alot of working out and discussion i've found that alot of those are either the wrong enviroment for them or they're aggressive towards each other.

So to narrow it down; i would really like my aquarium to have a pleco and rainbow shark.... the rest i need some help with lol.

Thank you for your links i'll have a look at them now - at this point i could do with all the help i can before i start my adventure ;D

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi aj. Where in NZ are you from? 90ltr is probably a little small for a Plec or Rainbow shark, however you could definatly get a Bristle Nose Plec, who only get to around 6 inchs, and look a lot cooler that common plecs IMO.

aj86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks catsma_97504 :-[ i wasn't sure on the gallons to L's ;D - which is a shame - are their any sharks that can go in a community fish tank of that size that you know of??

Hey Nick, i'm in Auckland - are you in nz? Just looked up Bristle Nose Plec, they're cute ;D so i'd be happy to have one of those.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I'm in Nelson. You might possibly be able to do a Red Tail Shark in a tank that size, but I'm not 100% sure. Other members with more experiance with sharks should be able to help.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm really afraid you would have major territory issues if you housed a Red Tail or Rainbow Shark in a 90L/23g tank. I have a Rainbow Shark in my 265g/1003L tank and I see a lot of chasing going on. He chases my Silver Dollars but luckily they have room to escape and get away from it. I would suggest at least 55g's/208L or larger for this fish.

Ken

I moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum. It may help you to receive more responses.
Thanks!

Last edited:

aj86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Nick

and thanks Ken, i might have to remove my shark from my list .... Do you have any suggestion for a community tank?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Aj,

I think a tank of different types of Tetra's might be nice and there are a large variety of them.

Live bearers like Platy's, Molly's, Guppy's are another options. Maybe the fry they spawn can be taken to the fish store and traded for store credit.

The Bristlenose Pleco Nick mentioned would be a nice addition. Maybe a couple or 3 Cory Cats. This will cover your bottom feeders.

I'm sure you'll bet some more responses before too long

Maybe some Sparkling Gourami's ? I hear they do well and stay quiet small.

Ken

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i wasn't sure on the gallons to L's ;D - which is a shame -
If you scroll to the bottom of the page you can find 3 conversion calculators. One will allow you to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa, one converts liters to US gallons and vice versa and one allows you to plug in specific dimensions of a tank (length, width and height) in inches and converts it to US and UK gallons. We have members from all over the world and it has quite often been a VERY useful tool for me since I'm not able to make the conversions off hand.

aj86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for that hahaha didn't even see that~!!

Thanks Ken, have started to narrow my list.... I'm thinking; Rainbows, Barbs, Tetra, Black Line flying fox, Loach, Gourami, Rams, Kribensis.........PLUS MY PLECO ..... if it was your first tank which ones would you take away and add?

lovefishes

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ive just recently got a redfined shark in my 55g/208L hexagon tank and i havnt notice him misbehaving at all. most of the other fish are smaller than him also. so i guess it all depends on the disposition of the shark =D hope this helped! they really are cute little guys =D they have 2 little feelers by thier mouth that look like a little mustache =D

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
one male dwarf gourmai or other gourmai could do well in a peaceful community tank of your size. I would reccomend to get a school (6+) of colorful fish, such as neon tetras or cardinal tetras, cherry barbs or dwarf rainbows to add movement as well as color to the tank. A larger fish, such as a gourami, will as more color but also act as a "center piece" to kind of tie the tank together. You also could get a school of lively corries for the bottom section of the tank and to clean up extra food.

I have an albino bristle nosed pleco, and he is adorable, but very messy with a large bioload, unfortunatly leaving less room for other fish. He seems able to find taisty food somewhere and leaves my glass dirty. Nerite sails are excellent glass cleaners, have a small bioload, but leave unsightly eggs everywhere.

my ram is a bully, and has killed several fish and dose not like similar shaped fish or colourful fish (like gouramis)

a true saimese algae eater is very similar to a flying fox, a bit less colorful, but loves algae, so you could kill two birds with one stone there

aj86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guess what! just an update - i got a 130L tank over the wkend, heater - filter - and light, one step closer

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom