Help needed please!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jaynexx, Jul 30, 2015.

1. J

Jaynexx New Member Member

I am looking after some fish there is 1 flying fox, 3 dwarf chain loaches, 1 golden algae eater & a bristle nose pleco all in a 20L tank. The fish aren't dealing well with so many others in a small tank and their health is going down hill, I'm not sure if they have a parasite or ammonia poisoning as the ammonia has been at .25 for a few weeks. The ammonia is between 0 & .25 (seems to have dropped a little today), Nitrite 0 & Nitrates are between 10-20 (using the api liquid and vial tests). I managed to get a new 50L tank and have had it running for a few days now. My question is should I transfer the fish into the new tank or wait for it to be cycled? In the new tank ammonia is at .25, the nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. Would greatly appreciate any advice and thank you in advance.

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

What else is in the tank with them? The only ones I would move to the 50L is the dwarf chain loach, as everything else might be stressed by the small space. If you move those over you will have to do daily 50% water changes to keep the ammonia from building up.

3. OP
    OP
    J

One live java fern and some snails but from what I can see some of them have died (for how long I don't know), this would contribute to the ammonia yes? (Please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this).

4. Nympxzie

Snails can, yes, but in such a large tank I don't think it would be a readable amount. I don't think the fish are stressed out because of the other fish, but rather because there are not enough of eachother.eg: dwarf chain loach should have 4-6 minimum in a group, I believe flying fox and the golden algae eater may need groups as well but I am not sure. If the tank is sparce you may want to decorate it more so they settle in.

5. OP
    OP
    J

Sorry I meant snails in the 20L tank. I don't have anything in the 50L other than two barrel decorations.

6. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

So is that 20 liters? Dead snail(s) could foul up the water.

7. Nympxzie

Oh yeah that's a good point. Are we talkinga bout a 20 gallon LONG tank or a 20 LITER tank? if it is liters I would move all the fish into the 50 Liter asap!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice