Help Needed Please... Mars

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well last night I got a text to say that it looked like his scales were rising, so I dashed round immediately withthe epsom salts. His scales had not quite risen, but looked a bitdubious. I gave him an epsom salt bath, I think I slightly overdosed, but the little boy had absolutely NO trouble with it, and seemed perfectly content swimming around in it.

I'll maybe give him another one tonight while I change his water and leave it at that. He's a hungry boy, but will be fed tonight after 2 days of fasting. (Garlic soaked worms as a treat!)

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Here's an update, hence the back to back posts, in case anyone is following his story... I gave him another epsom bath last night while I cleaned his tank and I followed this with his special worms. He has had 2 half hourbaths, and I don't want to do another one, as they are not helping and the stress it must be causing is not good. He really does not mind the baths, even though I think the dosage again was too high (it's hard to judge in a half gallon tub.)

He does look like he is bigger underneath, and now I do know what the next stage is. It does not look like I have caught this in time and if I hadn't spent so long messing about fasting him and giving him peas and waiting a week and a half to start medicating, then maybe this would be different.

His scales are flat for now, but every time he turns, they look like they're going to pop up any minute. He is in his tank, it had a 90% water change to get rid of most of the meds, he has Stress Coat and Vita Chem (his fins are starting to go raggedy as I have seen before in these cases). He had such lovely fins before, it's a shame they are getting this way and slowly losing their colour at the ends where he had grown them.

He is still very active, dancing, being cheeky, but he broke my heart last night. He usually ignores me/swims away when I have fingers near him, but when he was in his bath, I could see him watching me, so I moved my finger around the surface and he just followed it. He has never done this before, I did not have food. Maybe he knows something is wrong and is trying to let me know he's OK for now, or I'll be OK or something, I just don't know :'( :'( :'(

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Keeping my fingers crossed TigerFishy!

I know you're a good fish Mom and doing all that you can.

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, probably one of the last updates here...

He is still big, not getting any smaller, but you would not know anything is werong with him except the swelling! He is still very active, and even blew a bubble nest on Friday and has een adding to it all weekend, its the biggest one he's ever made...

He's being very strong, but I dread the next couple of weeks to be honest with you guys... The salt baths did nothing for his swelling. I just caught it too late, and it's a shame this wonderful little happy boy that has already been through so much has to go through this as well. I feel so bad, I could have done something sooner if I knew... :'(

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

I so sorry to hear things aren't any better for Mars. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So... Mars is still fine. Well, apart from the obvious of course...

He has not got any bigger, and his scales are still perfectly flat. I am stumped. It is not internal parasites as he poops normally, it is brown. As he was still OK, I gave him another epsom salt bath last night, slightly upped the concentration, and added another dose of aquarium salt to his tank (will be there until water change tomorrow) to see if we can get this swelling down.
It seemed to perk him up last night. He was hiding away behind his rock which is where he goes to sleep if the TV is still on so it is dark, and when I got up about11.30 to come home, he went crazy, dancing like a maniac at the top of his tank thinking I had got up to feed him!! He never does this at bedtime!

This fish is crazy, I hope we can get the belly down, it's been 3 weeks now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom