Help Needed Please... Mars

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So in my last thread about Mars, I told you about his big belly. This has gotten bigger. On Sat I decided to start medicating for bacterial infections, just in case. He got even bigger overnight as on Sun morning, he was bigger. His scales are still lying flat, no pineconing, but I do not know what is wrong.

I think it may be a fluid buildup, as he poops all the time, and I have tried peas and fasting, but the belly remains. This is how I know it is not constipation. Is there any method of getting rid of this fluid? I don't know that much about it, but I know if I don't do something soon, he could get very ill. He has been bloated for a week and a half now, with treatment only beginning on Sat.

I have heard of epsom salts, but I know salt is not good for bettas. Would one treatment of this be OK to try, or do you suggest something else, please help me. He was the first betta I got and is due to come home to me in 3 weeks. Water parameters are fine, he is eating as normal and still dances about. I'm so worried...

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh no!

My advice is, keep watching. Every time you walk past check his vitals and actions!

I don't know what it is... maybe he ate alot?

keep trying the peas...

Im sorry thats all I know... maybe MMs might chime in?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello TigerFishy,

So hate to hear that Mars isn't feeling well. I wish I knew what else to tell you. I'm sure MartinsMommy wouldn't mind if you sent her a private message. Have you done a search for Bloated Betta?

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Ken I did, thats where I got the epsom salts info. He has just been big for a while, but no pineconing yet... I will message MM, good idea.

There wasn't much under it except dropsy, which I've encountered before. I do know that his bloating may lead to it, or be kidney failure too .

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry Mars isn't well
I tried the epsom salt baths when when of my bettas got bloated. It didn't help and my betta eventually passed.
The epsom salt bath didn't help, but it didn't seem to hurt either.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If I do try it, I've found the dosage to be 1/4 teaspoon per gallon for no more than 30 mins. Although a thread I saw here was where a girl had added the salt to the tank? Personally I wouldn't want to put salt directly in his tank though...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn't add epsom salt to the tank. I used a Kritter Keeper and water from her tank.
I've read where it can be really stressful, but my betta actually seemed to enjoy it.
There are a lot recipes out there. I'm sorry, I forget the ratio I used.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would recommend the salt treatment...I have done it many times and have seen it help...I hope your little man recovers soon....You may want to fast him for a couple of days as well.....

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Martinismommy said:
I would recommend the salt treatment...I have done it many times and have seen it help...I hope your little man recovers soon....You may want to fast him for a couple of days as well.....
Hi MM
Just to clarify for the sake of the thread. What kind of salt and what ratio did you use?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you so much MM, I do appreciate your help (and Lucy for helping me to clarify!). Thanks for taking the time guys.

He is stumping me this fish...! So I'll add it to his tank, and fast him a couple days, ooh how he will love me for that one lol! He will be due a water change on Thu after his meds finish, obviously this will remove half the water (I'll do half as he had meds too). How long should he have the salt in the tank for before I change it out again?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OK thanks a million, one time add, got it!

I read so much conflicting info that I just needed it sorted before I tried anything that may not have been any good for him.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank MM!

Tigerfishy, please keep us up to date. Good luck with your boy, I hope he feels better soon.

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are many opinions on using salt....Some swear by it some think it is the worse thing you can do for a Betta...I usually don't voice my opinion here about the use of salt..But I guess the secret is out now how I feel about using it lol....

I really hope it helps him....

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Will do, thanks again, I do appreciate the help, I don't like having to ask as I feel bad lol! I know I don't mind helping people but I feel like I'm asking silly questions.

I'll let you know how he goes in a couple of days to let him settle and see if this has any effect, just some un-bloating would make me feel better as the more bloat, the more chance of pineconing and the less chance... Anything's worth a go, this guys been through so much and stayed so happy the whole time, he danced to me as I left last night haha!!

EDIT: we posted similar times lol! I'm willing to try as long as it has helped someone before, there's no right or wrong opinion, and as long as there's no overdosing and he's carefully watched, he should be fine. Everything in moderation...

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hope Mars get better!!! I have used Aquarium Salt before and I think it helped, but surely didn't hurt my betta...Everything in moderation...don't be afraid, it will be fine. keep us posted!!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well last night, after 24 hours in the salt (just under a teaspoon for 3.7Gals), he has not got any smaller, but he is still the same, still dancing, still flat scales.

I will change his water on Thu as planned, but may go for an epsom salt bath if he has not got smaller. The last thing I want is this build up to cause his scales to rise...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom