Help needed - New Discus tank

Rosegardener

The last time I had discus was decades ago, I have other tanks since, from arowana, severum, African cichlids, planted tank with small dishes, just haven't touch discus in those decades. This is what I am planning to do, please feel free to critique and pick my plans apart, the objective is to enjoy the fishes, not to spawn them:
  1. My water company use chlorine, water are not overly hard with ph around 7.6-7.8
  2. I want a planted tank of 120g (72" x 20" x 24"), glass.
  3. Filtration by two foam filter driven by air pumps.
  4. A continuous drip with inline chorine filter. Will use 2g/hour irrigation emitter, with timer at 6 hours per day. @12g per day, according this calculator, at the end of the week, 41 gal of original water still in the tank, with 59% new water. 12g/day is 84g per week. I will, however, pipe the discharged water to a plastic drum and use to water the garden.
  5. Tank will have small black gravel as substrate, I like thick substate, so how about 6"?
  6. I have no decided on lighting, but have decided on using CO2.
  7. Tank decor: driftwood, and biggish rocks.
  8. Plants: not decided yet. any suggestions?
  9. Heating, in summer, my house will keep at a constant 78F, winter about 70F, I like to keep the tank at 78-80F.
  10. Discus, ideally about 4 to 6 of them, max 8 but probably 6.
  11. Tankmates: 8 cory, 4 SAE, 4-6 ottos,
  12. Dithers, quite undecided, love to use zebra danio but can they handle 80F? I think platy will have the same problem?
OK, I am assuming discus do not handle changes in water parameter well, folks do daily water change instead of week to avoid a big sudden changes? I am hoping to use a daily drip of 12 gallons of fresh water to keep the water parameter fairly constant. Although I would prefer to do just 8g per day or 56g/week, roughly 50% of that 120g.

Any help is appreciated.

86 ssinit

Glad to see you’d like to come back :). Sorry and I’m not trying to be rude! But there’s nothing above that’s going to work. 78-80? Have you looked into these fish? 82 is the minimum. Plants can be done but I’d learn how to keep the fish for awhile before you add plants. I kept substrate and plants but have moved away from substrate and keep plants in pots.

Ive read of others that spoke of using a drip systems. Once or twice and never again. I don’t know if they failed or are keeping it a secret? I change 120 a week in my 125 and about 150 in my 180. I do 2 water changes a week to equal that. I also took a break from discus. About 15yrs. Came back about 3-4 yrs ago. Amazingly not much has changed. Colors are much more and you need to buy your fish online.

The sponge filters will work if you plan on doing at least twice as much water changes a week. And many do!
Thing is they haven’t made these fish any stronger since I left. They are hard to keep. Even when you think you got it they still just die. Best thing is the 6 with a max of 8. This will make cleaning easier.

Again not trying to be rude or acting like a know it all. I’m not :). Just a warning before you get into it. In the discus category I wrote thisFor Beginner Discus Keepers | Discus Fish Forum | 486447

And it can get expensive! I’m glad to help and will answer any questions I can.

Rosegardener

Glad to see you’d like to come back :). Sorry and I’m not trying to be rude! But there’s nothing above that’s going to work. 78-80? Have you looked into these fish? 82 is the minimum. Plants can be done but I’d learn how to keep the fish for awhile before you add plants. I kept substrate and plants but have moved away from substrate and keep plants in pots.

Ive read of others that spoke of using a drip systems. Once or twice and never again. I don’t know if they failed or are keeping it a secret? I change 120 a week in my 125 and about 150 in my 180. I do 2 water changes a week to equal that. I also took a break from discus. About 15yrs. Came back about 3-4 yrs ago. Amazingly not much has changed. Colors are much more and you need to buy your fish online.

The sponge filters will work if you plan on doing at least twice as much water changes a week. And many do!
Thing is they haven’t made these fish any stronger since I left. They are hard to keep. Even when you think you got it they still just die. Best thing is the 6 with a max of 8. This will make cleaning easier.

Again not trying to be rude or acting like a know it all. I’m not :). Just a warning before you get into it. In the discus category I wrote thisFor Beginner Discus Keepers | Discus Fish Forum | 486447

And it can get expensive! I’m glad to help and will answer any questions I can.
We are having a drought in Calif, discus and those water changes may be a bridge too far :)

86 ssinit

I hear ya!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies