Help needed! Mystery snail can't move due to bad foot??? Important

1. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 mystery snails. A few days ago my largest snail stopped moving and remained on it's back. Today I decided to flip it over and all of a sudden it started to come out of its shell and attempt to move around. Unfortunately, no movement was possible. It looks like the snail can't open its foot all the way??

I'm really confused and concerned. Does anyone have any ideas? Pictures below.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

Here are the pictures. The snail is trying to get up but can't. There's also a strange slime excretion? ?

Attached Files:

3. TKDennison Member Member

Do you test for copper? Strange secretions are usually a water problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

I have never tested for copper. Do you have a recommended method for doing so?

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

What are your current water parameters? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate. How long has your tank been cycled?

Is there a possibility that the snail injured himself from maybe an intake from your filter? Is the intake covered?
    I have had many snails ( before I had mine covered with a prefilter sponge ) injure themselves on the intake.... Just a thought.

6. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

The intake is not covered but my filter is a Tetra whisper 10i so the intake is nothing to worry about.

My tank has been cycled for a few months now. 0 ammonia. 0 Nitrite, and 10-20 nitrates.

7. blusshed Well Known Member Member

First, sorry you're snail is obviously injured, or something of the sort.

Why didn't you flip it over as soon as you noticed? I freak out if my snails aren't right side up, because I've seen so many die in pet stores.

The strange secretion could be from water quality, it could actually be a snail disease? Leeches?

Good luck! I'm no expert, but I hope I could be of some help! And I hope your snail recovers!

8. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

I did not flip it over immediately because I have seen him fall from the tank wall and pick himself up time and time again. Unfortunately now his foot looks shriveled up and he can't move well. :(

9. TKDennison Member Member

API sells a copper test kit. Think I paid 8.99 from LFS

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Aww, I do really hope he recovers. :(

11. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

I just watched him struggle to move. He stopped in this position before I flipped him over.

Attached Files:

12. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Wow that is a pretty strange position... I really wonder what is wrong :(