Help! Need treatment advice

Pfrozen

Well Known
So I noticed today that one of my rasboras has a single white speck on his tailfin. The other rasboras have no spots anywhere on them. They aren't showing other symptoms of ich BUT they have been rubbing their faces against the glass for a few days. Here's where it gets tricky. I'm currently treating them with Pimafix for a bit of mouth fungus. I hope this is why they're rubbing themselves on the glass, but I'm still scared of ich.

I want to treat just in case, but fish medications have been banned in Canada since 2017 and I certainly can't get the ones used to treat ich. If I up the heat to 86 my fish might die as not single thing in my tank can handle that temperature. I also cant use salt. The only thing I can think of is doing a big WC and waiting, if it is ich I could potentially treat with hydrogen peroxide when the parasites fall off to reproduce. That is also not a good option though.

Could it just be something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FishBoy101

Well Known
Pfrozen said:
So I noticed today that one of my rasboras has a single white speck on his tailfin. The other rasboras have no spots anywhere on them. They aren't showing other symptoms of ich BUT they have been rubbing their faces against the glass for a few days. Here's where it gets tricky. I'm currently treating them with Pimafix for a bit of mouth fungus. I hope this is why they're rubbing themselves on the glass, but I'm still scared of ich.

I want to treat just in case, but fish medications have been banned in Canada since 2017 and I certainly can't get the ones used to treat ich. If I up the heat to 86 my fish might die as not single thing in my tank can handle that temperature. I also cant use salt. The only thing I can think of is doing a big WC and waiting, if it is ich I could potentially treat with hydrogen peroxide when the parasites fall off to reproduce. That is also not a good option though.

Thanks
If medications and salt aren't an option.... I don't think your fish will survive, I wouldn't raise the temp if you have no medication. I've dealt with ich once, and it only worked cause of the salt. I wish you good luck.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Pfrozen said:

Thanks
Do you have aquarium salt?
If you do or can get some, it would be a much preferred treatment to meds.
Treatment:
1. Add 2 tsp of aquarium salt to the tank.
2. Increase the water temperature to 86 degrees.
3. Keep the water really clean with 25% water changes every other day.
But before you do any of this, could we have some pictures of the infected fish to make sure it is ich?

jkkgron2

Well Known
Pfrozen said:

Thanks
A lot of fish can handle 86 just for a bit. Since you can’t treat them or use salt then heat is the only way they’d survive.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
Do you have aquarium salt?
If you do or can get some, it would be a much preferred treatment to meds.
Treatment:
1. Add 2 tsp of aquarium salt to the tank.
2. Increase the water temperature to 86 degrees.
3. Keep the water really clean with 25% water changes every other day.
But before you do any of this, could we have some pictures of the infected fish to make sure it is ich?
Sorry my internet went down for awhile

I can't get a picture unless I buy a good camera lol. My phone wont focus on the fish. If I add salt my bamboo shrimp will die and I don't have a QT tank set up yet :/ I'll try to describe it, it's a white speck about 1 mm across located on the top part of the tail fin. Looks to be rod shaped if that means anything

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
I'm reading that ich appears in multiple spots when you first notice it.. this speck is just the one speck and doesn't look like ich at all from the pictures. I can't tell if its raised or not and its oblong, not round

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom