Help! Need Aquarium Safe Body Lotion & Soap Suggestions!

1. A

Aqua'rd_FishKeeper New Member Member

i get dry skin alot, use public transportation and work in less then sanitary conditions sometimes. Just looking for some suggestions for lotion and soap that is aquarium safe. basicly when i get home i would like to shower up then hit the fish room without worrying about contaminating my tanks with body wash products.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Well, you need to always be sure that soap is washed off completely, and that you are dried.
    I would also find a lotion that is not oil based, you need one without oils because that will not leave an aquarium very easily.
    Water-soluble lotions are recommended.

3. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

You can use some Meyers unscented dish soap I think for washing your hands

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Anyone that might be curious about what I use, well here you go.
    When I wash my hands, I either use Palmolive dish soap, or Mrs. Meyer's.
    Lotions would include Eucerin or Burt's Bees.

5. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

I use Palmolive dish soap too, multiple times a day sad to say, lol. Lots of dishes! Softsoap for handwashing and Aveeno for Excema lotion because I too get very dry itchy skin. I wash hands all day of course, always being sure to rinse very well with warm water and dry thoroughly. Lotion though, that's done early mornings and late at night, at times when I am hours away from tank time. Seems that this gives lotion time to soak in and I've washed hands again before they go in the tank. Also, I'm quite sure that at least the saltwater tanks are contributing to my dry hands, so I need lotion after hands in the tank. I use lotion in the early morning and late at night. Either way, usually at leat a couple of hours or more away from hands in the tank time. Seems this gives the lotion time to penetrate, and because there is time in between, I have washed my hands again since lotion too. Am I making sense?

Anyhow, with the way I do things, I don't even worry about hands in any of my six tanks... and that includes my sensitive little reef tank. Gotta add here that I have seen evidence of lotion hurting a reef tank, but in that case the lotion was applied about an hour before tank time, and applied all the way to the elbow. Hands were washed, but arms were not. We all know that we're sometimes armpit deep in the tanks, so we have to consider our arms as well.

Occasionally I need medicated creams, like hydrocortisone. At those times, I get the hubs to handle things. I prefer to be at least 3 days and 3 showers away from medicated stuff.

Seems worth mentioning here that long pipettes, planting tweezers and even wooden skewers are great for using instead of your hands whenever that's possible.

6. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Why not just use the lotion after taking or touching your fish hmm?

7. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

I use blue dawn

I also get horribly dry skin so I feel the pain. I have to use mineral creams and scent free detergents.