HELP need advice on eheim 2215 55 Gallon Tank 

joyceprendie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 55 gal tank with approx 30 gal of water. I just set up my Eheim classic 2215 and the information provided is lacking. I have 1 red eared slider in this tank. The filter is working great and it looks like maintence should be done every 3 months. Do you clean or change the media? And what about the carbon filter. The insructions says to remove after 2 weeks. Does this mean get rid of it or change it?

Any words of wisdom is greatly appriciated.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just rinse the media out in dechlorinted water. For ease most people use tank water having just done a water change. You don't need to chnge the noodles or the substrat pro (other ceramic media) at all. The caron is up to you. Either discard it or replace it. Some people swaer by carbon. Others are not so keen.

joyceprendie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much!

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep just clean pads and carbon but leave the substrate alone this is the bacteria needed to help keep tank clean( fish waste).

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stang Man said:
Yep just clean pads and carbon but leave the substrate alone this is the bacteria needed to help keep tank clean( fish waste).
I disagree. You're going to have to gravel vac it weekly at least.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CichlidsYay said:
I disagree. You're going to have to gravel vac it weekly at least.
I was talking about filter not the gravel.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm My mistake. Odd word to call w/e it is thats in the filter >_>

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol - Eheim's bio media is called Substrat and Substrat Pro.

The German word Substrat translates to Substratum in English.

A dictionary definition of Substratum = in Biology . the base or material on which a nonmotile organism lives or grows.

So there you have it, that's where the name comes from

and here's a little write up I did on Classic filters

Hope this helps.

joyceprendie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you to all that replied. Ryan, I'm keeping this post open so people can follow your link. Too bad you don't work for eheim, their customers need this information.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your welcome.

I found out through trial and error.

eddharris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,
This forum seems to be a godsend as I have a slight problem which is driving me nuts.
I've had a 55 gallon set up now for almost 3 months. 10 African Cichlids and a red tail shark. All is going well in terms of fish health, growth and zero deaths. However, I just can not shake off a slight white haze/cloudyness in the water. I popped in to a pet store today and they suggested I change the carbon filter in my Eheim 2213 Classic - but reading above, are you guys suggesting I remove it completely? Must admit I missed the part about removing after 2 weeks. However,I did have a couple of days of crystal clear water a couple of weeks ago but just cannot repeat that. Water changes are twice a week of about 20% (is that too much and too frequent?)
Any help would be great.
Edd

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
eddharris, you will usually find if you have a new question, even if it is related to an old question, it is better to start a new thread. People will often not look at an old thread, having seen whatever question it contained answered. That is a bit different to a lot of forums, I know, but this place seems to run like that.

Most recommend removing the carbon pad as carbon's absorptive capacity becomes saturated. There is a bit of a debate about whether this then means that the carbon eventually releases anything it has bound. It probably does not but at the very least the carbon becomes useless. If you want to use carbon you need to keep replacing it. Some people swear by carbon, some don't bother with it. Using it is not likely to clear your water. I can't explain the cloudiness but there are lots of threads in the coudy water section of the forum and you may get some pointers there. I'm sure others will have ideas for you as well.

Water changes: In a cycled tank the main purposes of your water changes is to keep the nitrates down. Your profile doesn't mention if you know about the nitrogen cycle. Is your tank cycled? If it is then you know you are doing adequate water changes if you nitrates stay stable and no higher than 20. Given that your tank is not planted, you have only water changes to rely on to do that.

eddharris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
claudicles said:
eddharris, you will usually find if you have a new question, even if it is related to an old question, it is better to start a new thread. People will often not look at an old thread, having seen whatever question it contained answered. That is a bit different to a lot of forums, I know, but this place seems to run like that.

Most recommend removing the carbon pad as carbon's absorptive capacity becomes saturated. There is a bit of a debate about whether this then means that the carbon eventually releases anything it has bound. It probably does not but at the very least the carbon becomes useless. If you want to use carbon you need to keep replacing it. Some people swear by carbon, some don't bother with it. Using it is not likely to clear your water. I can't explain the cloudiness but there are lots of threads in the coudy water section of the forum and you may get some pointers there. I'm sure others will have ideas for you as well.

Water changes: In a cycled tank the main purposes of your water changes is to keep the nitrates down. Your profile doesn't mention if you know about the nitrogen cycle. Is your tank cycled? If it is then you know you are doing adequate water changes if you nitrates stay stable and no higher than 20. Given that your tank is not planted, you have only water changes to rely on to do that.
Thanks for the prompt reply and yes, I'll do that and start a new thread.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads