Help mystery snails mated!

CarolineSV

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI all I am new to this forum and new to mystery snails. Call me stupid but I never realized that putting 2 ransom mystery snails together would result in so many babies! At first it was fun for my 5 yr old grandson to watch the eggs everyday to see if they hatched. Of course they did! In the mean time she laid several more pods!! As cute as that all are, I cannot keep 100+ snails!! Any suggestions for possibly selling them cheap once they get a decent size? They range from new born to a month old.

LoverofBettas

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have they hatched already? I had the same problem. I know this sounds cruel but when I had this issue I was advised to “cull” any extra eggs by crushing them in a plastic bag. However, I know this is a delicate issue because there is a young child involved, so I don’t know how you want to go about this. How much the babies would sell depends on the color/type of mystery snail. What colors are the parents?

tum0r

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know from your perspective this is a bit of a problem, but I tried for months with 4 mystery snails in the tank to get eggs and never had any luck so I can't help but congratulate you! I'm sure your LFS wouldn't mind taking them in for store credit or possibly even cash depending on whether or not they already have a local breeder. I personally would try and see what they'd be willing to offer first before trying to sell them.

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The local pet store will probably take them. You may want to separate the two parents to prevent any more babies if you can. Also, like others said, you can keep the eggs from hatching by pushing them in the water or taking them out and disposing of them.

OP
CarolineSV

CarolineSV

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LoverofBettas said:
Have they hatched already? I had the same problem. I know this sounds cruel but when I had this issue I was advised to “cull” any extra eggs by crushing them in a plastic bag. However, I know this is a delicate issue because there is a young child involved, so I don’t know how you want to go about this. How much the babies would sell depends on the color/type of mystery snail. What colors are the parents?
The mom is blueish the dad is dark. Some are very pretty. Almost clear with
tum0r said:
I know from your perspective this is a bit of a problem, but I tried for months with 4 mystery snails in the tank to get eggs and never had any luck so I can't help but congratulate you! I'm sure your LFS wouldn't mind taking them in for store credit or possibly even cash depending on whether or not they already have a local breeder. I personally would try and see what they'd be willing to offer first before trying to sell them.
Thank you good idea! I don’t mind even giving them away to good homes but we do have a few fish stores in the area. Some are very pretty.

CarolineSV said:
The mom is blueish the dad is dark. Some are very pretty. Almost clear with

Thank you good idea! I don’t mind even giving them away to good homes but we do have a few fish stores in the area. Some are very pretty.
The snails, not the fish stores

If I can figure out how I will post some pictures of the bigger babies. The last one is the big momma!

Don’t mean to offend anyone but these look like little boobs anyone know if their shells change color as they get older? They are about 6-8 weeks old.

Attachments

New Threads