Help! Mystery Platy Sickness

AwwwwYeah

I have several platies that are sick with something. I can't figure out what it is. I've already lost 3, and I don't want to loose anymore!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gals
How long has the tank been running? over 6 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) (previously 6 sunburst wag platies) now i have 3, 7 blue/sunburst platy fry (they are a bout a inch) 3 sub adult albino cory cats

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? once a month
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? tetra aqua safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate: 0.5
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? a pinch
What brand of food do you feed your fish? tetra color flakes and sinking pellets
Do you feed frozen? nope
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? nope

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? over 1 yr
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a day or two ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? clamped fins, labored breathing, and hiding and then death
Have you started any treatment for the illness? i tried some fungus meds then later (after a water change) some bacterial meds.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? nope
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? They have been hiding all the time. They used to be out in the open

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I added the cory cats on saturday. Then on Tuesday I noticed one of them hiding and having the clamped fins. That's when I added the fungus meds cuz it says it treats clamped fins and hoping it would cure whatever was going on. Then last night I noticed one of them had passed. After that one by one they have started to pass. I thought that the cory cats brought in a illness, but all the the fry have been fine. None of them have passed or show any symptoms. Any advice would be appreciated!!!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just lost another. Help would be great. I've had successful aquariums for a long time, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on!

bcsay720

I have, sadly, learned that some mysterious illnesses could be parasites. Are they pooping normally? Is there anything that seems to hang out of their anus?

AwwwwYeah

I have, sadly, learned that some mysterious illnesses could be parasites. Are they pooping normally? Is there anything that seems to hang out of their anus?
No. Their pooping is normal.

AlphaFish

I don't know the disease, but for mystery diseases there's general cures. If you have one on hand, it might help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishPlanet
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
mukg
Replies