Status
Not open for further replies.

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got these fish two days ago, i know they are in a ten gal which is small but they seemed fine and there are only 4, now i immediately notice that the fish in the photo was laggin behind and not hanging out with the others and this morning i noticed that it had a larger belly then the others and was sluggish now 5-6 hours later i check the tank and see this , the same fish on the ground not moving. Is is sleeping, pregnant, or .... dead. as this is my first ever tank and i love these fish i would hope not but if it is then ok.

Well, it makes me sad to say it as this is my first tank and I haven't had the fish for more than a week, but 2 days ago i found one of them on the floor with a bloated belly and a red line across the belly. and it was dead, earlier in the day i observed it being bloated and sluggish (this all happened two days after i got them, the day before xmas) now i wake up and see another one being sluggish and has an enlarged belly. I got my water tested at Petsmart when i picked up my fish and they said the only thing was the water was a little hard. Is it me, or them because if its something that they did ill be mad. Tank Details, Ten Gal tank with live plants ammonia is .02 ppm ph is 5.8, temp is 76.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

loyal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
generally after a certain point the fish will float due to bloating, and turn a pale color if dead... i cant say for certain that to be true to all fish, but thats what ive observed.

Lh 90 gallon

Valued Member
Reaction score
to help make sure rest of your fish stay ok can you please answer the following questions. it may be just a fluke and was a weak fish when you bought it or it may be due to your tank.

I am assuming this is a brand new tank.
Did you cycle the tank with ammonia before getting the fish?

Please test your water and let us know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

How did you acclimate the fish to the tank.

I am going to assume one of two issues,
If you didn't cycle tank before adding fish, the fish will produce ammonia, and the ammonia/and or nitirite will build most likely killing your fish. To combat this test water daily for ammonia/nitrites and do water changes with water of similar temperature if there is more than 1PPM of ammonia or nitrite make sure you treat the water with a water conditioner preferably Prime. THe benefit of prime is it detoxifies ammonia/nitrite for 24-48 hours. you will have to keep doing this until there is consistently zero ammonia and zero nitrite.

second issue would be fish wasn't acclimated properly and died from stress of being added to the new tank. ideally you want to slowly add water from tank to bag with fish and store water so that it slowly gets used to your tanks parameters. This won't always kill a fish but if fish is a weaker fish it can.

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
to help make sure rest of your fish stay ok can you please answer the following questions. it may be just a fluke and was a weak fish when you bought it or it may be due to your tank.

I am assuming this is a brand new tank.
Did you cycle the tank with ammonia before getting the fish?

Please test your water and let us know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

How did you acclimate the fish to the tank.

I am going to assume one of two issues,
If you didn't cycle tank before adding fish, the fish will produce ammonia, and the ammonia/and or nitirite will build most likely killing your fish. To combat this test water daily for ammonia/nitrites and do water changes with water of similar temperature if there is more than 1PPM of ammonia or nitrite make sure you treat the water with a water conditioner preferably Prime. THe benefit of prime is it detoxifies ammonia/nitrite for 24-48 hours. you will have to keep doing this until there is consistently zero ammonia and zero nitrite.

second issue would be fish wasn't acclimated properly and died from stress of being added to the new tank. ideally you want to slowly add water from tank to bag with fish and store water so that it slowly gets used to your tanks parameters. This won't always kill a fish but if fish is a weaker fish it can.
i have ph and ammonia alerts i dont have test strips but two days ago i tested water at PetSmart and it was fine, for acclamation i let the sit it the bag in the tank for 20 mins as instructed by the workers there, btw wdym cycle the tank like put water in and leave it? i did that for 3 weeks

have you noticed any form of red streaking on the stomach of the fish?
not that i know of besides the red color that shined when they got close to the heat lamp

generally after a certain point the fish will float due to bloating, and turn a pale color if dead... i cant say for certain that to be true to all fish, but thats what ive observed.
thanks, i poked it with the net and im pretty sure its dead

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A healthy zebra danio should never act like that. Something is going on either with the fish or the water. If you see no gill movement then you've got a dead danio. '

I'd check the water for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite just in case. The fish could just die due to the stress of being bought and moved into a new tank but that isn't a common occurrence when acclimated correctly.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Merged duplicate threads. Please don't create duplicate threads.

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Merged duplicate threads. Please don't create duplicate threads.
ok

A healthy zebra danio should never act like that. Something is going on either with the fish or the water. If you see no gill movement then you've got a dead danio. '

I'd check the water for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite just in case. The fish could just die due to the stress of being bought and moved into a new tank but that isn't a common occurrence when acclimated correctly.
well now that its merged check above , i did the whole 20 mins thing

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah I see, so you are not familiar with the Nitrogen cycle? It is basically how fish waste is converted to less harmful substances (nitrate). You need to have an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed off of and form a colony in the filter media. If you do not cycle a tank before adding fish you risk your fish getting sick from the ammonia and nitrite they produce.

If you cannot check for ammonia and nitrite then at the very least do a 50% water change just in case. Might be a good idea to invest in a water test kit so you can keep an eye on things. You should never have any ammonia or nitrite in a cycled tank. A small amount of nitrate is fine but nothing over 30 or so.

Logan.t.Foster

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You really have to cycle the tank before adding fish.
I live in Virginia too. If you want, you can message me, and I could mail you, or you could pick up some cycled media. It wont fit your filter exactly, but it will make your cycle a lot faster.

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You mentioned you have the Seachem ammonia alert. Is it yellow or one the darker shades? What number is your ph alert reading?

You said you left the tank for 3 weeks. Do you men you just let it run or did you add a chemical like “safe start”?

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have you noticed any form of red streaking on the stomach of the fish?
upon futher inspection of the fish there was a line on the underbelly

You mentioned you have the Seachem ammonia alert. Is it yellow or one the darker shades? What number is your ph alert reading?

You said you left the tank for 3 weeks. Do you men you just let it run or did you add a chemical like “safe start”?
let it run and ph is high 6

You really have to cycle the tank before adding fish.
I live in Virginia too. If you want, you can message me, and I could mail you, or you could pick up some cycled media. It wont fit your filter exactly, but it will make your cycle a lot faster.
well with the fish in is this a thing i should be doing? and idk how to message but i have an old gmail if you wanna contact me there

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ah I see, so you are not familiar with the Nitrogen cycle? It is basically how fish waste is converted to less harmful substances (nitrate). You need to have an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed off of and form a colony in the filter media. If you do not cycle a tank before adding fish you risk your fish getting sick from the ammonia and nitrite they produce.

If you cannot check for ammonia and nitrite then at the very least do a 50% water change just in case. Might be a good idea to invest in a water test kit so you can keep an eye on things. You should never have any ammonia or nitrite in a cycled tank. A small amount of nitrate is fine but nothing over 30 or so.
i have seachem alerts stuff for ph and ammonia both are fine

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use those also but they are not a replacement for testing. There are other parameters you would need to know for proper diagnosis of water issues.

How are the other fish? Any spots, fuzz, general lethargy?
How much are you feeding?
What kind of substrate is that?

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use those also but they are not a replacement for testing. There are other parameters you would need to know for proper diagnosis of water issues.

How are the other fish? Any spots, fuzz, general lethargy?
How much are you feeding?
others are good, 2-3 times a day tropical flakes

aae0130

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Too much food......for now you should do once a day. Just what they will eat in about 30 seconds. Scoop out anything left. You are not cycled and need to keep your bioload down a bit until you are. I would recommend you get a at the very least a package of test strips that will last a few weeks for daily testing. Read up on the nitrogen cycle. When you test, it will let you know when to do water changes. There will be more changes in the beginning while you are cycling. Once cycled, you will only need to test occasionally.

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi,

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Your tank by the looks of it is not cycled yet.

What are your nitrite and nitrate levels?

NoahS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? Your tank by the looks of it is not cycled yet.

What are your nitrite and nitrate levels?
i have no idea but as the post stated i got my water checked 4 days ago at petsmart they said it was fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom