Help! My tanks are cloudy from my sand what do I do?

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Featherfin, Nov 30, 2012.

1. F

Featherfin Valued Member Member

I'm very worried :( I had my tanks filled up with saltwater and they were crystal clear so I bought some live rock and started everything up and the circulation pumps moved my sand around and now it's cloudy :( My smaller tank where the pump is affecting the sand the most is the worst... I can't even see to the back. I got fine sand is it too fine? What do I do? I have a filter with polishing pads running but it isn't making any difference

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I had a problem with cloudiness after dirting my 50. I smooshed some batting (pillow stuffing?) into the filter and that helped remove the fine particles.

EDIT: Even so, it took around 24 hours to really clean it up.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    F

Ok then I think I might just have to wait it out :) my polishing pads are like batting but that's a good idea for when I run out! When I dirt my tanks I just do a ton of water changes, but it isn't that simple when it's saltwater... especially when I've used up all my salt ._.

4. Eienna

I can't do a ton of changes cause I'm currently buying my water bottled.

I just shoved it in after the pads in my HOB, to let the pads remove the bigger stuff before the tiny particles got to the batting.

5. M

MMJ Valued Member Member

I think you must let your tank to settle down and latter try mixing up some vegetation to your tank that will help to settle the tank much better

6. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Move the pumps they might be hitting the sand to hard and than wait 24 hours it should settle mine was like that too :) and now it is perfect :)

7. OP
    OP
    F

What is vegetation? Also my 20g is so much clearer now :) so I'm guessing it'll be completely clear soon then I'll put the filter on my other tank. I have the pumps pointing down lol I'm going to point them up now

8. Eienna

Vegetation...well, think vegetable matter. Plant life.

9. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I'll add to Jessi's comments,
    What type of sand is it? Some sands made for marine use (e.g. CaribSea Aragmax and other aragonite based sands) are high in calcium, and this can cloud the water until the calcium dissolves into the water column and/or settles again.

Like Jessi, my tank was cloudy for a few days until all the calcium and 'dust' settled. Now it is crystal clear. It is just a waiting game, and perfectly common for sand (or any substrate) to cloud the tank.

Too, as suggested by Jessi, ensure your powerheads aren't pointing directly into the sand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice